Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liaison 1914

Robert Dunlop

(ISBN 0 304 35682 4)

I picked up my copy of this for next to nothing in a discount book store. Even at the normal retail price (15 quid), it is still a worthwhile buy. Spears was a cavalryman who started out the war attached to the GQG, the French High Command. On August 15th he was transfered to the French Fifth Army: "I was at this time working under the direct orders of the Head of British Intelligence, Colonel Macdonogh, and during my first few days at Rethel my duties were almost exclusively concerned with the organization of our Intelligence in this area, co-ordinating it with the French service and adapting our pre-war organization to war conditions. We were attempting to lay a net along the probable line of the German advance, a net of eyes and ears to watch and listen for the enemy, and to devise a plan whereby the information obtained could be collected and passed on. We also had a number of Intelligence Officers in Belgium with whom it was important to keep in touch. This entailed a great deal of travelling by car over considerable distances, and led to many exciting little adventures in country well beyond our outpost lines."

Although Spears spent little time at GQG, he gives an excellent description of its workings. There is also a lot of information about the workings of the French Fifth Army's HQ, along with descriptions of the French going into battle and during the retreat. In addition to his own observations and anecdotes, Spears has quoted from a number of other important French sources, including official documents, retired generals and other officers post-war, and various autobiographies. Day-by-day, Spears unfolds the events from July 25th to September 14th, 1914. There is over 500 pages of text, including the various appendices in which are quoted various GQG and GHQ orders, Orders of Battle, and other additional information.

Having read Tuchman's book, 'The Guns of August', I was worried that 'Liaison 1914' might be long and tedious by comparison. Not at all. The dramatic tension builds throughout the book. It was totally gripping, more so than Tuchman's book. Gradually, the picture of the German attack builds, as first the French Fifth Army advances then begins to fall back. The complete breakdown of communication between Generals French and Lanrezac; the near-run attempt by the Germans to cutoff the Fifth Army; and then the turning in of von Kluck's First Army. Utterly and totally absorbing. There are details about the French Fifth Army's battles, about the various key characters, and about the Battle of the Frontiers in general. There are some super maps and photographs as well.

Spears had a unique position in those formative days. Thankfully, he was a masterful writer as well. Richard Adlington is quoted on the cover as saying 'So well written it deserves to become a military classic'. Quite right. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Robert

Robert, you have said it well, this book is nothing short of superb and, luckily, since it's so good, it's quite long, available in paperback.

Guest woodyudet

Its a fantastic book.

Spiers is a very interesting guy as he was a key witness not only to key events in 1914, but also to the French mutinies in 1917.

Interesting pop fact ... I believe Spiers is the only person to be interviewed in both "The Great War" and "The World at War".

Just to make you jealous - I have a hard back copy which I bought many years ago for £2.00!

It is one of my books to take to a desert island.

Regards

I believe Spiers is the only person to be interviewed in both "The Great War" and "The World at War".

I did not see him in the latter but I enjoyed his comments in the former. This was one of the things that prompted me to get his book.

Robert

• 8 months later...

Iwanted to bring this thread back up since I am thinking about tackling this book next. Its not that I expect anything other than a great read, but I was hoping to see what some of the other Pals thought.

My initial (pre read) questions are when was the book written, during the war or how long after? How much analysis of the events is offered versus a retelling of what he experienced?

I am glad the maps and photos are 'super', I always like follwing along and seeing what he might have seen.

Andy

It is for quite a unique insight into the problematic days for the Entente armies following the battle of Mons, that I liked this book .

It is recalled amazingly well for what must have been a stressful time for the British Liaison Officer to the French 5th Army.

And of course , he repeated his French liaison duties on behalf of Churchill in 1940 and wrote about these experiences too but with considerable sadness.

Quite agreee that "Liaison 1914" is a truly great book.

There is no doubt that this book is one of the best memoirs of a campaign ever written, but what surprises me is that nobody so far has mentioned the truly breathaking fact that the man charged with this extraordinary mission was a subaltern! To the modern eye this is absolutely amazing, almost as amazing as the ready access he was granted to high commanders, his moral courage when dealing with them and the way his reports were accepted fully and acted upon by his superiors. Times certainly change. Even with all the benefits of modern communications, there is always much detail to be sorted out between allies and it would not be trusted to a junior officer - No rank, no access!

There is no doubt that this book is one of the best memoirs of a campaign ever written, but what surprises me is that nobody so far has mentioned the truly breathaking fact that the man charged with this extraordinary mission was a subaltern!  To the modern eye this is absolutely amazing, almost as amazing as the ready access he was granted to high commanders.

Yes, that's true. But things had changed even by 1940 when I think he was granted the rank of Major General to give him clout for his mission to the French.

But of course, Churchill his boss was obsessed by uniforms and rank

I can also recommend his 'Prelude to Victory'. Absolutely fantastic account of events during the first half of 1917 . Great maps, wonderful photographs and very useful appendices. Well worth tracking down.

Regards,

AGWR

PS Here is a photo of the author in 1917 from the book.

post-783-1113054770.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I agree. It is a brilliant book. Beautifully written. The vignettes of so many key individuals. The insights into the French army, at all levels. The build-up to the tragedy on the Chemin-des-Dames ridge, as good as any novel. A wonderful sense of timing that increases the deep sense of anguish about the whole Nivelle offensive.

Spears also takes a very interesting tack. He explores the whole issue of the role of politicians in determining military strategy. Ending with his extraordinary description of Joffre.

Superb.

Robert

Has Prelude to Victory ever been reprinted? I've only ever seen the original which I think came out in about 1939... and hence is extremely pricey second-hand.

My copy was a reprint in 1940. Don't know that it has been reprinted since.

Robert

My copy was a reprint in 1940.  Don't know that it has been reprinted since.

Robert

Thanks - that's what I feared. There's a copy on Abebooks at the moment for £30-odd. :blink: