Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this chap a Royal Engineer?

high wood

Having seen another recent thread on a similar photograph can we confirm that this chap is R.E.? He has the grenade collar badges, A seemingly two piece, two letter shoulder title and a single stripe on his trousers.

Looking at the 'shade' of his 5-button frock (when compared for example with the trouser stripe, which we know to be red) I believe that on this occasion he is a gunner of the Royal Artillery (RFA), but as mentioned previously the uniforms were very similar and it is difficult with B&W photos. With pill box cap and frock I would date the photo to around 1898-1899, just before the creation of the RFA and RGA that led to the introduction of 3-letter shoulder titles.

Although it is difficult to see, I would say that he is an engineer, looks more like nine flames rather than seven.

Robert

I am afraid the 7 and 9 flame rule is true only for the grenades with the scroll UBIQUE affixed at the base from 1922 onwards. From 1880 until that date the 'Universal Grenade' was worn and shared with the Grenadier Guards, all Fusilier Regiments and all the associated Dominion and Empire units. It is the Universal Grenade that you see on the man in the OP's photo. It really is true what I say about the uniform being very similar at that time, when trying to make an ID from a B&W photo.

post-599-0-38760400-1318104932.jpg

Frogsmile

Thanks for that.

TR

The man on the left in this illustration shows the uniform being worn without the riding boots, and with overalls, as opposed to breeches. Note the design of the 5-button frock (the lace loops are yellow - blue on red for RE) and colours of the pillbox cap (the latter was identical with RE). The spiked helmet later changed to a ball top.

post-599-0-47420700-1318114633.jpg

and the pill box cap itself. The officers version had gold lace with a zigzag pattern in lieu of the yellow felt.

post-599-0-54936700-1318107437.jpg

post-599-0-82441800-1318115273.jpg

And a full length view, but this time with tunic instead of frock.

post-599-0-18968300-1318108042.jpg

And here a dismounted gunner in the same pattern of frock.

post-599-0-46912100-1318173062.jpg

If I remember correctly during this period they wore "Battery" numerals on their shoulder straps as opposed to "R.F.A."!!

If I remember correctly during this period they wore "Battery" numerals on their shoulder straps as opposed to "R.F.A."!!

Yes I believe so Graham, and the RHA had some kind of regional title if I remember rightly?