Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch Glengarry

Lachlan

Dear All

I have seen a recent photo of a dark blue glengarry with Black Watch badge, with a black silk rosette under the BW badge. There is a manufacturer's sticker inside the hat, a red paper diamond with the name A. Raphael 1915.

I'm trying to determine its authenticity. Has anyone heard of that manufacturer ?

Also, did the BW wear a black rosette under their glengarry badges in 1915 ? I only mention as photos of my Granddad (6th BW) and colleagues and Gt Uncle (8th BW) and his colleagues at that time show no rosette on their glengarries.

Any thoughts please ?

Dear All

I have seen a recent photo of a dark blue glengarry with Black Watch badge, with a black silk rosette under the BW badge. There is a manufacturer's sticker inside the hat, a red paper diamond with the name A. Raphael 1915.

I'm trying to determine its authenticity. Has anyone heard of that manufacturer ?

Also, did the BW wear a black rosette under their glengarry badges in 1915 ? I only mention as photos of my Granddad (6th BW) and colleagues and Gt Uncle (8th BW) and his colleagues at that time show no rosette on their glengarries.

Any thoughts please ?

The Black Watch did not wear a rosette, as shown in this contemporary illustration, although there is an error showing the Royal Scots as wearing an undiced glengarry, which of course is not true.

post-599-0-23725300-1318072673.jpg

post-599-0-86135300-1318072978.jpg