Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6th Battalion, Sherwood Foresters

Sepoy

I have downloaded the WO95 War Diary from the National Archives for the 2/6th Sherwood Foresters and was disappointed to discover that a portion covering their involvement in the Easter Rising is missing. Was the section covering the "Rising" destroyed for political purposes or held back when the War Diaries were originally released for public viewing?

If the section was held back, does anyone whether it is now available at the National Archives and if so where?

I am researching a Major Charles Heathcote who commanded "A" Company. I have his Service Papers but I was trying to build a picture of what he and his Battalion got up to.

Any advice on how to follow this research would be gratefully received.

Sepoy

My understanding is that as Ireland was part of the UK, battalions did not write war diaries while in Ireland, no more than they would had they been in England at that time

The 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers for example only starts its war diary when it mobilised in Aug 1916, and not when it was formed in Feb 1916. Therefore its actions in the Easter Rising are not covered by its war diary

Whilst it beggars belief what the British Government did destroy or did hold back for political purposes, this is not one of them

Although war diaries, as such, would not have been kept by regiments on home service in their own country (as Ireland then was), at least some regiments kept what might be described as "ordinary" diaries and printed them in their regimental magazines. This was certainly the case with the 1st and 2nd Bns Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantr, both of which recorded their activities during the "Troubles".

There is a published history of the 2/6th and their part in Ireland. Forgotten the title for the moment :blink:

There is a small history of the 2/6th Battalion during their time in Ireland which i was only reading yesterday.

2/6th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918.

ITS PART IN THE DEFEAT OF THE IRISH REBELLION 1916, by G.J.Edmunds.

BRONNO.

Thank you for all your replies and to ConnaughtRanger and Bronno for drawing my attention to "2/6th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters 1914-1918 and its part in the defeat of the Irish Rebellion 1916" by G J Edmunds. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be available on the Naval and Military Press website or in the excellent Military section at the Aldershot Library. I would be most interested to hear whether the book mentions Charles Harold Heathcote.

best regards

Sepoy

But did the Sherwood Foresters have a regimental journal - if so, it will probably contrain details of their activities in Ireland.

But did the Sherwood Foresters have a regimental journal - if so, it will probably contrain details of their activities in Ireland.

Unfortunately The Sherwood Foresters did not publish its Regimental Histories/Journals during the war years 1915 to 1919.

Major (Charle Harold) Heathcote is mentioned as O.C. "A" Company and it briefly states;

Major Heathcote was sent to Richmond Barracks to take charge of the prisoners and their effects. He took with him "B" Company and Captain Orr, Lieutenant Maine (acting as his adjutant). They were under the command of the Provost Marshall, Colonel Fraser.

BRONNO.

Thanks Bronno - what date was he sent to Richmond Barracks? Is this information from the previously mentioned book?

Cheers

Sepoy

Thanks Bronno - what date was he sent to Richmond Barracks? Is this information from the previously mentioned book?

Cheers

Sepoy

Looks like Monday 1st May. Bronno.