Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Tanks

Seadog

How could anyone send anyone to fight in this impossible terrain? Only someone who had never seen it or couldn't care less.

4210987890_92c57c2de2_z.jpg

Flanders 1918

The morass of the battlefield in March 1918 with a Tank abandoned in the mud possibly from the 3rd Battle of Ypres in 1917. How could the Commanders send Tanks to fight in these conditions. The photo is near to St Jean and is from the German book "Der Weltkrieg im Bild" published late 1930`s

Colonel C D Baker-Carr one of the Tank Corps Brigade Commanders said before the 1917 battle:

“To anyone familiar with the terrain in Flanders it was almost inconceivable that this part of the line should have been selected. If a careful search had been made from the English Channel to Switzerland, no more unsuitable spot could have been discovered”.

How could anyone send anyone to fight in these conditions? Only someone who had either never seen the conditions, didn't listen to reports or couldn't care less.

what calibre would the a/t rifle be and was the round explosive or did it just break up and send shards all about interior of tank.john

Almost any round was likely to cause some flaking inside and I believe this was complained of and visors tried. That is not to be compared with the deliberate spalling of a scab in later AT rounds although it may have suggested the idea.

How could anyone send anyone to fight in this impossible terrain? Only someone who had never seen it or couldn't care less.

The terrain may not have been as bad as this when the tank was deployed. A broken down or abandoned tank usually attracted a fair amount of artillery fire. The photo is taken well after the event as it is safe to walk on the battlefield without weapons and take a photograph so presumably some time after the tank broke down and/or was otherwise disabled.

Battles are not planned on the assumption that rain might stop play. Occasionally, bad weather can delay a start but eventually, off we go. The weather was equally bad for both sides. Really bad weather might hurt men in a trench worse than men attacking it and men using shell holes as temporary shelters to avoid artillery might also find the rain pushing them out.

Almost any round was likely to cause some flaking inside and I believe this was complained of and visors tried. That is not to be compared with the deliberate spalling of a scab in later AT rounds although it may have suggested the idea.

Masks and mail veils more than visors. This was because of bullet splash rather than flaking (although some did occur - mainly of high speed paint flakes). When a relatively soft (non armour piercing) bullet hits hard armour plate the kinetic energy gets converted to heat which causes melting. If the bullet strikes on a joint in the plate (no matter how fine) some molten bullet squirts through the gap. As the Australians would say, get that in your eye it's really gonna smart. The same kinetic energy effect when a solid very high velocity AT round penetrates a tank can mean that the round is very hot indeed and molten armour may be sprayed inside the tank. This is why in WW2 so many tanks hit by solid shot still "brewed up". Many rounds combined the effect having a soft exterior and a very hard core so that the molten exterior material acted as a lubricant to allow the core the penetrate.

The spalling of a scab is created differently. The round does not 'attempt' to penetrate but on impact deforms to form a 'poultice' of explosive on the outside. When this explodes a shock wave passes through the metal and causes a large piece to fly off on the inside (it's the same principle as those mind numbing Newton's Balls that dumb executives have on their desks). The first weapon to use this principle was the notoriously dangerous (to the user) Sticky Bomb grenade. It was adapted for the various Burney recoilless guns as these could not develop the velocity needed for conventional AT rounds and this has since given rise to countless squash head systems. I have never found any direct connection (and I've looked) between the development of weapons using this process and the flaking of WW1.

The terrain may not have been as bad as this when the tank was deployed.

Various contemporary accounts indicate that it was and there are suggestions that the German defences were so organised as to lure or otherwise divert tanks into very soft ground. There were areas of the battle field where the going was relatively hard and tanks used here did quite well.

Another image from "Der Weltkrieg im Bild" dated 12th October 1917 near St Julien in Flanders.

Major Philip Hammomd the commander of 18 Company was trying to get eight tanks from F Battalion forward on the night of 21st August 1917. He described the perils of operating on the notorious “road” to St Julien:

“There was an abyss of mud and water on each side if any tank broke down and was knocked out during the approach march, needs must wait on the road until daylight and then be shot like a garden thrush; too easy.

The holes in the pave were filled with broken rifles, kit and corpses, the whole overlaid with stinking slime.”

From: Band of Brigands by Christy Campbell ISBN 978-0-00-786032-6

5943325290_5819d0f0bb_z.jpg

This image dated 15th February 1918 of the Flanders morass is from the same source as above. I see at least four tanks in the mud.

5943306868_ab705caa6d_z.jpg

Norman

This image dated 15th February 1918 of the Flanders morass is from the same source as above. I see at least four tanks in the mud.

As I said before - I don't believe the German caption. Tanks in that condition were salvaged one way or another by that date.

The Village of Pozieres - Somme

Located on the Bapaume-Albert road this is at the "Le Tommy" cafe and some of the collection. This photo is of WW1 British Tank parts, including a section of track fitted with what I think are "spuds" in an attempt to improve traction over muddy ground. Any thoughts as to where these bits came from and when.

4411180417_f477540dd1_z.jpg

Norman

Added: The photo in Post 32 shows a tank with the devices fitted.

There also appears to be the sponson door for a Mark i female tank.

It is impossible to say got certain which tank but the nearest wreck was probably D16 “Dracula” (No 538) which took part in the action at Eaucourt on 1 October

Thanks Stephen, I agree that it would be near impossible to identify the actual tank. All the same an interesting collection and the "spuds" must be rare as I have not seen these even in the Tank Museum at Bovington.

Norman

Has any member access to a photo showing a tank complete with the spade track extensions (Post 35) which they are able to post? I have searched Google images and there is just one there of a captured tank, unfortunately there is a problem with the website so I am unable to provide a link. I think that it is possible that the tank parts at Pozieres came from a tank used in the Battle of the Ancre in November 1916 as the ground conditions would seem to warrant such an addition, again this is only a guess.

Regards

Norman

5927359677_9025a00762_z.jpg

The Tank Museum Bovington

The original tank clock from tank D11 commanded by 2nd Lt H G Pearsall at the Battle of Flers - Coucelette in September 1916, the first use of tanks in war. The tank had to be abandoned after being hit by shellfire but Lt Pearsall removed the machineguns and continued to fight from a nearby trench, an action for which he was awarded the Military Cross.

Has any member access to a photo showing a tank complete with the spade track extensions (Post 35) which they are able to post? I have searched Google images and there is just one there of a captured tank, unfortunately there is a problem with the website so I am unable to provide a link. I think that it is possible that the tank parts at Pozieres came from a tank used in the Battle of the Ancre in November 1916 as the ground conditions would seem to warrant such an addition, again this is only a guess.

Regards

Norman

post-9885-0-68508300-1318158451.gif#

A Mk II at Arras

There also appears to be the sponson door for a Mark i female tank.

Or possibly a MkII many of which were certainly fitted with "spades"

Good point - the door doesn't have to have been found on the Somme

Member James A Pratt 111, your post timed at 10.55 on the 10/10/11 seems to be missing after the latest forum outage. Please repost.

Regards

Norman

I have contacted the Lincolnshire Life Museum to request confirmation that the tank “Flirt” on display there is in fact the original one as depicted in Post 1. The following reply was received today.

Thank you for your enquiry. We are happy to confirm that the WWI tank 'Flirt' that can be seen in the Museum is the original. We hope this answers your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Museum of Lincolnshire Life

Burton Road

Lincoln

LN1 3LY

Tel: 01522 528448

Fax: 01522 521264

email: Customer_Services@lincolnshire.gov.uk

Posts 2 and 18 refer.

Norman

Museums will often tell you that something is that aint. For example Aberdeen (USA) has a Mk IV Female that it consistently claims was Britannia despite a vast amount of photographic evidence that shows that it wasn't.

I have posted the contact details in order that anyone who wishes to can contact the museum. My personal opinion is that if as the museum has confirmed the tank is the original "Flirt" then that is very good news indeed. If for any reason it is not the named tank then the tank is still a remarkable survivor from the early days or armoured warfare.

I have posted the contact details in order that anyone who wishes to can contact the museum. My personal opinion is that if as the museum has confirmed the tank is the original "Flirt" then that is very good news indeed. If for any reason it is not the named tank then the tank is still a remarkable survivor from the early days or armoured warfare.

However the tank came from Bovington and they don't confirm that it's definitely Flirt so how the blankety blank can Lincoln do so?