Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UVF Officer's uniform

dlloyd

Very unsure about the UVF/YCV armband - and it is definitely NOT a UVF officer's uniform. In fact there was no such thing. They wore civilian clothes with an armband.

The YCV were NOT part of the original UVF.

Ulster collectors will I am sure correct me if I am wide of the mark but I would have reservations about how this outfit 'comes together'

That is what I thought myself Des re the YCV not being in the original UVF. Hope Rob Elliott reads this thread. Perhaps he's the man for the right answer?

I think I recall reading that the YCV had uniforms because its members came from well to do families and therefore could afford the subscriptions to buy them.

Yup - YCVs had a grey West Point style uniform.

Hi guys, my opinion-

Not UVF or YCV. As Des says YCV uniform was grey. They did affiliate to the UVF in 1914, this caused a split in the senior board. UVF uniforms for Officers were private purchase, though there were variations most were patterned on the British standard Officer uniform so in that respect not impossible, although i think that one is a later than 1914, but uniforms not my field.

So assume he means 14th Royal Irish Rifles.

YCV armband- style ok, but sure it is a repro, has Sgt's horizontal bars, for Officers uniform?? Sown on to uniform, do not think military regs would allow that one. For your info i have been told these armbands were re-made not as copies for deception but just as an interesting item. they could be bought for £5. In fact some of the canvas type were on an auction site recently.

Cap badge, nothing special, not officers, not rare, may be restrike, looks a bit too good, don't think the YCV had the green felt behind it on the service uniform.

Why the cord breeches?

The only interesting item is the Oval Dixie. Not seen one stamped like that before so don't think its a copy. Sharman D. Neil Ltd cast their name into the badges in very small letters. I don't think anyone copying one would make a simple mistake like that as the repros are cast from an original but come out a little bit smaller and thinner. they are cheap enough to buy.

The bits added for authenticity are good! The football letter must have been important to have been carried around for 10 years and the Unionist badge just to confim the wearer's credentials.

Odd thing to do as not even a good attempt at putting something together.

I made a quick call to a proper collector in Belfast who was fully aware of it and said virtually the same thing, again the S.D.Neill badge being the interesting bit.

The man says 'serious offers', I'll negotiate for the cap badge and how about 50p for the rest, 'i'm serious!'.

Rob