Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross Citation

rj.hoare

Hi,

I have not done any researching for a while on gallantry awards and would appreciate someone giving me a mental nudge on where it is that I should be going to, particulalrly as the sites I bookmarked long ago seem to be no longer in use :-(

I am after the Military Cross citation for a Captain Basil James ROSS, Sherwood Foresters, Notts and Derby Regiment.

He was the husband of a medal group I hold named to his wife Avis Mary ROSS who died in September 1924.

Her medal group consists of the War/Victory Medals and 3 x French Red Cross medals, as she served as a "Lady Ambulance Driver" - my options for research have dried up with her so I am now going for her husband.

I have his Medal Index Card available to view and the interesting/confusing bit is why have they put an X with dots around it?? What do the dots signify??

It is here if you wish to view : http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/DoLUserDownload/rjhoare@ntlworldcom/WO/372/17/0/10918.pdf

I'm sure that you'll find the details on the London Gazette site. In the meantime, I have his citation:

"Ross, Basil James: Temp Capt: 17th (Welbeck Rangers) Battalion: London Gazette 26.11.1917. He led his company with great gallantry in the advance on Bulgar Wood on 20.9.1917, though strongly held up at two strong points by machine gun and rifle fire. By his skilful handling handling of his men and good judgement, the advance of the Battalion was never checked. He successfully consolidated the position under heaby fire."

This extract is taken from Cliff Housely's "British Gallantry Awards (45th and 95th Foot): The Sherwood Foresters 1854-1970", published by Miliquest Publications.

Hope this is helpful.

The symbol you refer to is style of asterisk and this annotation is usually inserted on the MIC against the details which were impressed upon the medals themselves.

Army officer's medals, with the exception of the Stars, did not carry regimental details and in the case of Captain Ross the asterisk would signify that his medals (not his MC) would be impressed Capt. B. J. Ross.

The other details on his MIC which carry an asterisk would simply be those which were recorded for him as the most up to date available at the time the MIC was compiled.

Here is the notification for his MC in the London Gazette. Your man is second from top in the left hand column.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just as an aside, have you considered downloading the indexes for the London Gazette?

They are, admittedly, large files, but I have found them to be a very useful and often more reliable way of finding an entry in the Gazette.

Once you get used to the layout of the index formats you can tell with some certainty if your subject is likely to show or not.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/indexes

Cheers,

Nigel

A little more information,

Basil James Ross joined the Sherwood Foresters in 1915 and was wounded on the 3rd September 1916.

Gained the rank of Captain on the 17th April 1917. Wounded by shellfire on the 27th September 1917.

At one time he served with the Sherwood Rangers at Bishops Stortford.

Also served with the North Staffordshire Regiment attached to the 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters in 1918.

He returned home to England sick on the 30th November 1918.

BRONNO.

I have a period photo of Capt Ross in Sherwood Foresters uniform. I'll post shortly.

Mark

I have a period photo of Capt Ross in Sherwood Foresters uniform. I'll post shortly.

Mark

Thanks Mark, that would be brilliant!

Just as an aside, have you considered downloading the indexes for the London Gazette?

They are, admittedly, large files, but I have found them to be a very useful and often more reliable way of finding an entry in the Gazette.

Once you get used to the layout of the index formats you can tell with some certainty if your subject is likely to show or not.

http://www.london-ga...e.co.uk/indexes

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel for your information, much appreciated! No w that he is sorted I think a letter to the French Red Cross might be worth a go :-) Just to sort out what they have on his wife.

A little more information,

Basil James Ross joined the Sherwood Foresters in 1915 and was wounded on the 3rd September 1916.

Gained the rank of Captain on the 17th April 1917. Wounded by shellfire on the 27th September 1917.

At one time he served with the Sherwood Rangers at Bishops Stortford.

Also served with the North Staffordshire Regiment attached to the 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters in 1918.

He returned home to England sick on the 30th November 1918.

BRONNO.

Thanks Bronno, for your information, much appreciated! Now that he is sorted I think a letter to the French Red Cross might be worth a go :-) Just to sort out what they have on his wife.

Where on earth did you get all the information from? Sounds like I need to sign up to (yet another) the site?

I'm sure that you'll find the details on the London Gazette site. In the meantime, I have his citation:

"Ross, Basil James: Temp Capt: 17th (Welbeck Rangers) Battalion: London Gazette 26.11.1917. He led his company with great gallantry in the advance on Bulgar Wood on 20.9.1917, though strongly held up at two strong points by machine gun and rifle fire. By his skilful handling handling of his men and good judgement, the advance of the Battalion was never checked. He successfully consolidated the position under heaby fire."

This extract is taken from Cliff Housely's "British Gallantry Awards (45th and 95th Foot): The Sherwood Foresters 1854-1970", published by Miliquest Publications.

Hope this is helpful.

Very helpful, cheers Jim!!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone!

Avis Mary ROSS nee WILKINSON is a relative of mine. I'm happy to share any info.

Welcome to the forum -

Keith

Perhaps this is of interest.

Derek

Brilliant. I don't normally make comments like that but this must be Gwan-Dai's lucky day to see an named blade for his research target

Ian

• 3 years later...

ross.jpg