Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonet Display

reese williams

Well, I've finally gotten fed up with my bayonets languishing in a box on the shelf so I've started building some display cases. This is the first attempt, a grouping of P-1888s. Ultimately the box will have a glass front to keep down the dusting chores. Any criticisms or suggestions gratefully taken on board. And yes, I know the bottom bayo is a P-1903 not a P-1888 MkIII (although is is a converted MkII). The reason is because I don't have a MkIII. If anyone has or knows of one for sale in any condition, please contact me.

post-20246-0-24581900-1317504624.jpg

Reese,

Very nicely done! I particularly like your method of mounting them for display!

All the best,

Gary

Very nice Reese

Rich

Nice - I saw it on the Enfield forum too.

Can you explain the dates at the top -- looks like 1888-1902?

Is this because a new pattern was sealed in 1903? If so seems a bit odd as P1888s continued in service for a long time after 1902.

Very nice box - what sort of wood is it? Cherry?

Chris

Nice lineup of bayonets, and the timberwork makes an impressive looking display case. :thumbsup:

The method of attaching the bayonets through the muzzle ring is a really good idea, but I think it does tend to detract a little from the overall picture.

But when you are looking to hang them on a wall there are not many other options that will not get in the way. They are always going to be visible.

I have a selection of my best P1888's displayed in a timber case that is incorporated into a glass topped coffee table. Being under glass is very important.!

Dust is always going to be a problem, and repeated cleaning does tend to take away the enjoyment of ownership.! Most of mine stay stored in their drawers.

Cheers, S>S

Chris,

The wood is mahogany. I picked the dates based on pattern date for the 1903. It is a bit arbitrary but I'll use 1903-1906 for the P-1903 box and probably 1907-1939 for the next and so on. The idea being to show the progression of the various designs.