Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying the cap badge?

Nizzeh

Hey guys. This man has become a familiar face around here lately haha. I have recently moved on from the WW1 records as I have traced him to America. Anyway I was hoping someone could identify the cap badges and the collar pins or whatever you call them. He is C/Sjt Alexander MacIntyre (McIntyre). Someone already told me that they don't match the 4th bn Royal Scots Fusiliers.. If they don't where are they from?

IMAG0028.jpg

Hi nizzeh

That's a smashing photo of a 19th Reinforcement soldier form good old New Zealand!

Wendy

post-49999-0-33023900-1317425406.jpg post-49999-0-40323200-1317425429.jpg

Well done Wendy, brilliant! - that one really had me stumped.

Here's my blurb on the Nineteenths http://1914-1918.inv...topic=152320

If you would like any high resolution photos from the thread PM me you email and I'll send through to you, I have a truck load of information on the Nineteenth Reinforcements. Please feel free to add C/Sjt Alexander MacIntyre (McIntyre) photo to my thread.

I have been unable to locate a Alexander McIntyre or MacIntyre from the Nineteenth reinforcements on the New Zealand cenotaph sight at the Auckland Museum are you absolutely sure you have the name correct.

http://muse.auckland...i,+1914-1918%22

Here is a link to DigitalNZ where you will find 199 images of soldiers of the Nineteenth Reinforcement, you may find your man. With a tash like that he would stand out in a photo. http://search.digita...++reinforcement

Here's a photo of my GU wearing his Nineteenth collar dogs.

post-49999-0-12232300-1317427389.jpg post-49999-0-98060100-1317427354.jpg

Just edited to say that these are the other reinforcements that embarked under the Nineteenth Reinforcement banner. Your man may have been with the NZRB 10th or 13th Reinforcement and would still have worn the insignia of the Nineteenths.

19th Reinforcements N.Z.E.F [Roll No.45]

13th Reinforcements NZ-Rifle Brigade 1st & 2nd Battalions

10th Reinforcement NZ Rifle Brigade 3rd & 4th Battalions

However when he got the Sling/Codford camp he would have been taken on and lost the identy of a Nineteenth.

Well, This guy is supposedly a member of my family but he was in the 4bn Royal Scots Fusiliers. How would we come to get a picture of him then?

Also, Thanks for clearing this up :)

Nizzeh

Prehaps he immigrated or traveled to New Zealand for a holiday and enlisted here, do you have any record of that. This chap trained at Featherston Camp Nz mid 1916 and embarked end of 1916 arriving early in the new Year 1917. The boys of the Nineteenth were in the field by the 3rd Ypres May 1916.

You know in all honesty he sort of dosnt look like a Kiwi to me, that tash with the twist on the ends is the sort of thing a Englishman would do. Cant say I've seen a Kiwi with a tash like that.

Do you have a war file for him? Whats his middle name and I'll check with the New Zealand Archives.

He is a WW1 New Zealander - Unfortunately, I cannot get to my reference books to state which Unit!

Sepoy

Sepoy ~ How did you know he was a New Zealander without knowing the insignia?

What's the badge above his stripes? Trade badge of some description or is it a Sgt Major's crown?

Do you know who the woman with him is Nizzeh? I am gathering you are now questioning whether this is in fact your man McIntyre.

Rgds

Tim D

Was just mulling this over and was wondering if the photo is a postcard or a cabinet card, is there a name of the studio or photographer embossed on it?

If you have a name of the photographer/studio on the image I can look my up list and establish where in New Zealand this chap would have hailed from.

Don't rule out that he may have trained in New Zealand and then transferred to an English Regiment.

Wendy

No he definately was only in the 4th Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers. However, there is a woman in my family who married a Kiwi and I can try getting his name if it helps?

Have found only one Pte Alexander Miller 32691 with the Nineteenths, so not your man sorry.

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/80283.detail?Ordinal=4&c_surname_search=miller&c_firstname_search=alexander

Bit dodge to say for sure as your Alex Miller (Millar) may not enlisted, This husband and wife (would need name) would be easy enough to research via Ancestry for anyone who had a subscription.

Regards Wendy

Have found only one Pte Alexander Miller 32691 with the Nineteenths, so not your man sorry.

http://muse.auckland...earch=alexander

Bit dodge to say for sure as your Alex Miller (Millar) may not enlisted, This husband and wife (would need name) would be easy enough to research via Ancestry for anyone who had a subscription.

Regards Wendy

No the guy I was researchign was c/Sjt Alexander McIntyre. But the New Zealander that Alex's sister married was called Alexander Miller. Could that picture be him?

What was her name and where were they married? If we can find an Alex Miller who married a McIntyre then we may be getting somewhere!

Rgds

Tim D

So Elizabeth?

Married in Scotland?

I'm not coming with any hits at all for Lizzie of Elizabeth MacIntyre or McIntyre between 1914 and 1925 on Scotland's People. There are 146 Statutory Records for marriages in the name of Alexander Miller over this period and 74 for Alexander Millar.

Tim D

So Elizabeth?

Married in Scotland?

I'm not coming with any hits at all for Lizzie of Elizabeth MacIntyre or McIntyre between 1914 and 1925 on Scotland's People. There are 146 Statutory Records for marriages in the name of Alexander Miller over this period and 74 for Alexander Millar.

Tim D

I am assuming they married in New Zealand. Also, on any documents i.e. Census' she is "Lizzie"

Niether do I.

Perhaps Wendy will know.

Hi guys, looks like you have a good lead there.

Yes I can arrange a look up, in fact I've already arranged it. Sent off an email request just now.

Will report back here to let you know the findings, will take a few days tho.

(make sure you have your notifications set for 'immediate' and you'll get an email as soon as I reply).

Wendy

Marriage cert has arrived. I'm not sure how to copie to the forum and have it big enough to read. I've reduced it to 98kb so it will fit!

post-49999-0-56697600-1317890006.jpg

post-49999-0-69874000-1317891748.jpg

If you want a copy emailed through get in touch with your details

Wendy

Thats them :) Thanks very much Wendy, if you could email it to me that would be brilliant: Davienisbet@gmail.com