Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo question

the german

Hello,

as I mentioned in an other thread, I am working on an exhibition. At the moment, I am researching a german soldier, who died 1918 in Catterick. Tom Morgan was so kind to take a picture of his today`s grave in Cannock Chase. Once more thank you, Tom and Terry!

Today I got this old picture from the family. They said that the soldiers gravestone can be seen (the white one on the left). My question is, can anyone of the members confirm, that it shows the graveyard and church in Catterick / England ?

cat.jpg

Hinrich

Hello,

I did some "googeling" and found a photo of the St. John church in Hipswell.

What do you think, is it possibly the one I am looking for?

Hinrich

Almost definately, especially seeing as Hipswell is the next-door village to Catterick.

Dave.

Guest Sapper Calling

Hello

You are correct, the church is at hipswell, I called in on my way to work last night and took this photo. I'm afraid the sky was very overcast, so the picture is a little dark. The churchyard has certainly changed since your photo was taken.

Peter

post-19-1090751149.jpg

Hello Peter,

thank you very, very much! This is most interesting for me. It seems, they "cleaned up" the place, but it is indeed the church I was looking for.

I see you have the same "summer weather" over there, like we have in the northeast of Germany. I don`t want to bother you, but would it be possible to do a second photo, when the weather is a little bit more sunny? I would like to present the photos in a kind of "then and now" theme.

Thanks again! Hinrich

Guest Sapper Calling

Hinrich

As soon as the weather improves I will take the photo, B) I only work round the corner from Hipswell

Peter

Peter,

this will be extremely appreciated :D

Would you please take the occasion and have a short closer look at the two white headstones (second from left and right) and may be take a photo, too? I was wondering what is written there and if they are some of the "originals" .

I hope, this will not take too much of your well merited leisure time !

Hinrich

Guest Sapper Calling

Hinrich

As promised here is the picture with a bit better light, also the two headstones that you mentioned.

Regards

Peter

post-19-1091041822.jpg

Hello Peter,

again, thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. Please look at my picture. Except the cleaning of the place ........ time stood still.

kirche.jpg

Hinrich

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

may be interesting for some of the german speaking (or reading) pals. Here is an article in the local newspaper this morning about the exhibition where I will also use the photos, that Tom and Peter took for me.

Article

Attention, this will only be available until sunday evening. Then they will put the new "monday articles" on their website.

In the meantime, I got a lot of informations and photos from the family, regarding the soldier who died in Catterick in 1918. This will be a most interesting part of the exhibition. Once again thank you very much for your help!

Hinrich

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter,

yes, it was a great success. Everyone asked about the interesting photos from England. :rolleyes:

You might have noticed your`s, too. The two people in front of the "Catterick-story" are the relatives. They were very happy! The soldier, who died and was buried in Hipswell as a POW, was (like two of his brothers) a missionary in East Africa before the war.

Today, there are still some ancestors of the brothers in East Africa. They will get some copies, too.

So you see, the world is just a "small village" sometimes.

Hinrich