Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TRENCH DIGGING BOOT PLATE?

GRANVILLE

Spotted this on eBay. Has anyone got anything which might substantiate the claim that it was used to assist in trench digging during the war? I'm not out to prove the seller wrong, in fact I'm quite fascinated by the item because I can well imagine someone having it made up for the very purpose of protecting the underside of the sole of the foot from the damage that can be inflicted by too much spade work - been there done it etc. Any chance anyone has a photo or any period references to such a thing?

Dave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180730872057?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1101

Spotted this on eBay. Has anyone got anything which might substantiate the claim that it was used to assist in trench digging during the war? I'm not out to prove the seller wrong, in fact I'm quite fascinated by the item because I can well imagine someone having it made up for the very purpose of protecting the underside of the sole of the foot from the damage that can be inflicted by too much spade work - been there done it etc. Any chance anyone has a photo or any period references to such a thing?

Dave

http://www.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1101

Hi Dave

It looks like a relic from the past, I've never seen one being used for digging trenches, its not part of a WW1 issued implement, but I could be proven wrong.

Gerwyn

Hi Dave

It looks like a relic from the past, I've never seen one being used for digging trenches, its not part of a WW1 issued implement, but I could be proven wrong.

Gerwyn

Cheers Gerwyn.

Like you I've never seen anything like it before and do not regard it a 'official issue', nevertheless as an object it's clearly got some years behind it and it can surely have only been made for one purpose. It just fascinates me that someone saw the worth in making it and I can well imagine it will have made prolonged periods of spade work much easier on the digging foot than without it?

Dave

Have a much more compactly designed example maker marked and broad arrow stamped example in the collection somewhere. Have seen several similar ones over the years since I bought it. None dated, but definitely military issued at some point.

Have a much more compactly designed example maker marked and broad arrow stamped example in the collection somewhere. Have seen several similar ones over the years since I bought it. None dated, but definitely military issued at some point.

Cheers Andrew,

I find this even more fascinating as straight way you are confirming some sort of 'official' recognition/issue of such 'aids' and it would be good if you could post a picture in due course. I'm surprised they seem to be so rarely mentioned anywhere?

Dave

Last year I asked a question about these, I had 2 Broad arrow marked examples, they were common shed finds around our area (lots of men worked for Murphy's cable laying)in Basildon.

Hi Dave

It looks like a relic from the past, I've never seen one being used for digging trenches,

Gerwyn

They were in common use for trench diggers in the utility companies when I served my time in the 1960's. Usually worn with wellington boots as the arch of the foot could suffer . I cleared some out of an old gasworks in the 1990's as it was being demolished and some well worn ones were wd marked. No idea on age though.

They were in common use for trench diggers in the utility companies when I served my time in the 1960's. Usually worn with wellington boots as the arch of the foot could suffer . I cleared some out of an old gasworks in the 1990's as it was being demolished and some well worn ones were wd marked. No idea on age though.

Hi, It just goe's to show, you never stop learning, just because I Haven't seen one, it dose not mean they were never used, and the W D, proves it was a military item.

On the subject of military gear, the entrenching tool, I've only ever came across, one photo of it being used.

Gerwyn

My example - broad arrow and apparently maker marked GRIFFIN. No date:

http://postimage.org/image/m580omhw/

Boot_protector.jpg

My example - broad arrow and apparently maker marked GRIFFIN. No date:

http://postimage.org/image/m580omhw/

Boot_protector.jpg

Fascinating, thanks Andrew. I presume in the case of your example, the riveted remnants would have been a pair of buckle-up straps, one around the heel and one over the top? I’m also fascinated at the WD arrow which clearly confirms its military connections/origins but at the same time seems to suggest to me there was no specific pattern the maker was expected to work to? In just about every other example of kit that gets discussed on the forum, you seem to find quite specific specifications lain down and yet clearly not so with such as these. It’s as if an urgent need for a solution to a problem was sought and providing you could come up with something solid enough to cope with the task, then the War Office was happy to approve your product and let you get on with it. Does this sound like a fair interpretation of what is coming to light here? I should really like to see a period photo showing the boys at work with some of these being used.

Dave

• 12 years later...

So how exactly was this used ?

On 14/03/2024 at 17:27, arantxa said:

So how exactly was this used ?

Basically, slip it over your boot and dig. There may have been straps to help keep it on but they may have found they were not essential. The metal plate took all the impact from the spade, protecting the boot sole - which I suspect they found were quickly softened after days of being in wet conditions. The right angle on the base plate ensured you boot stayed in close contact with the spade as you dug with it. I've never seen a photo of anyone using them, so suspect they were not that common.

David

Thank you ….I’d never heard of it before