Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force War Medal

nimrod1897

Hi - can any one point me in the direction of any printed or online resource listing how many of the 33933 TFWM issued were issued to the various regiments and Corps that had men who qualified eg I understand about 1500 men from the Hampshire regiment qualified, but only a handful from some other units. Any help would be much appreciated.

Howard Williamson's "Collectors Guide to Great War Militaria" has a chart of total recipients by regiment - and he revised it for his Collectors Guide to Great War Medals. Who are you interested in? I can access the latter readily later.

Phil - many thanks for your fast and helpful reply. I haven't got a particular recipient in mind, just wanted to establish the relative scarcities before I wade in with a purchase for my collection. Regards Nimrod.

It's the scarcest of the WW1 series (only some 36,000 issued) so any TFWM is a good bet. I've always wanted an MGC one.

The Compendium shows about 212 different units receiving TFWM and lists officers and ORs. The book is available from the National Archive at £50 post free, which is a good saving from all other outlets that I've seen.

As for MGC, there is one listed here for sale

My link

Phil - many thanks for your fast and helpful reply. I haven't got a particular recipient in mind, just wanted to establish the relative scarcities before I wade in with a purchase for my collection. Regards Nimrod.

Scarcities abound with this Medal,even with the Corps,{providing you can establishe the EXACT TF Unit the medal relates to} some Regiments have mere handfuls in single figures,many have just double figures,The Corps and Artillery on the face of it have large numbers but as stated above each TF Battery or RE/ASC etc;Brigade/Company would individually have very few....as well as units that theorectically shouldn't have it all like,if you consider the fact there were no TF MGC/RAF,etc; units!!!per se.[but qualified from previous service] :thumbsup: