Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEF AUGUST 1917 MEDALLION

Sepoy

There was a well documented debate between the Rank and File fighting in the trenches about awards to those behind the lines. I wonder what the men fighting at Ypres, during August 1917, would have thought about the attached Bronze Medallion.

It has been in my possession for years, but I recently re discovered the Medallion whilst tiding up my Office and thought forum members might be interested to see it

Sepoy

NB the reverse is plain - I must say that I love the spade grip suspender!

post-55476-0-25828300-1317150538.jpg

a friend of mine (an academic historian) has pointed out that one of the constants of military life, across many centuries, is that soldiers once settled immediately turn to farming/gardening .. I have come across accounts of nice kitchen gardens being developed amongst artillery positions much closer to the front line .. I think then run over by some tanks ... much to the annoyance of the gardeners ..

Thanks for your replies

IPT thank you for pointing out the DNW link - I had not come across any other examples before. It is a real shame that mine is not named. I note that Sgt Fright's award is silver, so it might have been a case of not bothering to name the lesser awards.

As for your comments Battiscombe, I must confess that for the first time this year, my wife and myself attempted to create a small veg patch, in our back garden which thanks to our two Cairn terrier dogs looks like a battlefield with pits and craters dug everywhere! Unfortunately, our meagre crop would have been laughed at. I can understand Soldiers serving abroad trying to recreate their own patch of home - it would be interesting to note where such activities take place today in Afghanistan.

Sepoy