Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grimwood Road Territorial Centre Twickenham

westkent78

This is probably a request for all you London Territorial experts.

Having recently received some information from my grandfather's SWB MIC the address 43 Grimwood Road Twickenham was mentioned. Upon looking for information I found that there was a Territorial Army Centre on Grimwood Road which is now playing fields and basketball courts.

As he was in the 23rd London, I was wondering if he could have been employed there in a training capacity after recovering from his wound. What went on at such centres, and was this particular centre actually in use around 1916-18?

Thank you for any information.

Matthew

Matthew

Can you let me know the source of the address? I have no mention of it in the drill hall database.

Regards

Graeme

Graeme,

Well, its a bit tenuous, but I found a passing reference to it on the Richmond Upon Thames Parks and Open Spaces site.

Grimwood Road Open Space

Tw11: Grimwood Road, Twickenham

Facilities: basketball

Buses: 267, 281

Station: Twickenham

This former Territorial Army centre has now been landscaped and also provides an all-weather kick about area with a football/basketball unit.

I'm probably indulging in wishful thinking, and it may be a reference to a later period centre, but it just seemed to fit with my grandfather being a territorial and having two addresses on his MIC- one in Balham which I assume to be his home address and 49 Grimwood Road as his depot. Sounds doubtful though if its not on your database.

Matthew