Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forfeit

Guest newguy

Hi, I am looking at a Medal Card for 1914-1915 in France. The Victory/British/15 Star were awarded but in the Action Taken section below it reads 'Forfeited 1236 R.W. Deserted 6.9.15'. I wonder if anybody can help me decipher that, please ? I believe a Forfeit was a result of some disciplinary action and I have read that there were two types. R for Run and D for Discharge. Also that W. meant wife. Basically got three questions. Is the 1236 some sort of regulation and would the R. mean Run and would the W. mean wife ? - Many Thanks = Peter

It's hard to tell without knowing more about the soldier. My interpretation of the card is that he deserted (obviously) and forfieted his right to be issued the medals after the war by deserting the crown.

It would be interesting to know if he was caught and imprisoned for the duration, or if he was never found again.

I would also assume that R.W are the initials of the clerk or medals officer that made the entry.

I have checked the Kings Regulations 1928 (Close enough, as I can't find a WW1 Copy) and it states.

Forfeiture and Restoration of Medals.

1012. The conditions under which orders, decorations and medals are forfieted and restored are laid down in the Pay Warrant. OsC. will submit to the Under-secretary of State, The War Office, for decision, all cases in which orders, decorations and medals are liable to be forfieted under the Pay Warrant, and will withdraw them pending a decision.

1013. Any commemarative war medal forfieted by an officer or soldier who, subsequent to 4th August, 1914, is accepted for re enlistment will be restored, provided that he truthfully declares all former service upon such reinlistment or is subsequently retained for service upon the declaration or detection of such former service.

1014 Forfieted medals will be forwarded at once to the Under-secretary of State, the War Office.

Perhaps RW stands for Restored to Wife? See if you can dig up a copy of the Pay Warrant, that should clear it all up.