Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave Without Cross

munchkin

Hi All,

I thought that i would tell you the story about my Great Grandfathers Grave.

My Grandmother's Father was Killed in Action on 11th October 1918 and is buried in Wellington Cemetery Rieux-en-Cambresis. His Daughter (my Grandmother), was born January 2nd 1919, needless to say she never knew her father. I was brought up by my Grandmother and Grandfather, and frequently heard her talking about how she always wanted to see her Fathers grave. Back in 1987 we were lucky enough to send her to France to see his grave. We all waited in anticipation for her return, and to tell us all about it. Well she returned happy that she had had the chance to visit her Father. She only had one problem. She wanted to know why her fathers grave had no Cross on it. All the other graves seemed to have a cross.

I took it upon myself to write to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and asked why this was. They replied very promptly, and explained that after the war forms for verification of name and other particulars such as age, next of kin, any wording of a personal inscription and the type of religious emblem (if any), to be engraved, were sent to the next of kin of servicemen.

In light of the fact that Josephs grave had no cross, it would seem that her mother, as Private Tew's next of kin requested that no religious emblem should be engraved. As it is always the policy of the CWGC to respect the wishes of the next of kin, this was carried out ehen the headstone was manufactured.

I showed my Grandmother the letter and she could not understand why her mother would not have a cross engraved.

I then wrote back to the CWGC, and asked if a cross could be engraved, as this was the wishes of my Grandmother. Well, to cut a long story short, On the 22 January 1988 i had a letter form CWGC, Enclosed was a photograph of Private Joseph Tew grave with a cross engraved on it. My Grandmother passed away in 2001, with the knowledge that her father's grave, like most of the others had a cross engraved on it. I have not been to see the grave myself yet, but on of these days i will make the journey.

Glynn

post-19-1090162100.jpg

Glynn, Well Done You!! Gone but not forgotten. cheers Shelley :)