Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting service papers

Chris_Baker

Posted on behalf of Cynthia Panton: Cynthia sent me four large scans of fragments of the service papers of a soldier. As they are rather large files I have not included them in this post as images. The download time would have been too long. But each document can be seen by clicking on the link.

Cynthia wrote:

"First item is a Statement of Services, here. Under the

"Battalion or Depot" column, it lists a letter that looks like an "R" (for

regiment?) when he was first posted on January 20, 1916. What is that?

The second thing is when he was posted to the 1st Queens on August 25,

1916. In that same column is a "38" and then what looks like a "B" and

again that symbol or letter that looks like an "R." Since there did not

seem to be a 38th Brigade, could this be that he was posted to "B" company?

It then clearly states he was posted to the 7th Queens on September 3,

At the bottom of of the form in the "Promotions, Reductions and Casualties"

column is another shorthand - looks like C2 CAS P. Underneath is the

number of his effects form, which is included in the rest of the document.

here is the second page of his Statement of Services form that reiterates most of what is on page one. Unfortunately the burned parts do not let us see what lies ahead of the word "Depot" in the left column (perhaps nothing!).

This attachment Attestation Form is just for sheer

interest. You can see that his name is listed as "Richard James Stark" as

written by the Recruiting Sergeant. Robert's father was irate that they

had enlisted the 'wrong' man and thought it might save his son from going.

But it seems that since Robert had signed his correct name (as seen) it was

all perfectly legitimate, unfortunately for Robert.

Last but not least, a not-so-clear copy of a Casualty Form. The "From Whom Received" column lists that number "38" again, and of course, when he was missing, the OC Battalion as the source of information. But what do all the other letters mean in that column?"

Thanks for your help.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris,

It looks like 38 B D - Number 38 Base Depot?

C2 Cas P could be a reference to a casualty form in which he was reported as missing?

Ian :rolleyes:

I think the 'R' is, in fact, a rather overblown 'D', which would stand for 'Depot' which would make sense in context.

If I'm right about that is 38 BR actually 38 BD, perhaps (Infantry) Base Depot ? (cue Charles Messenger ?) - and now I've looked at the Cas Form you can see it is 38 IBD

About a week there then to the 7th ?

I would guess the C2 Cas bit is some sort reference number rather than his medical category (Cas = Casualty ?)

Best I can do

Jock Bruce

Dear Chris, Ian and Jock,

Thank you so much for the interpretation of these records. It does help to know a little more about what I am reading. Does anyone know where the 38th Base Depot was? Etaples? That would be my guess, but believe me, it is only a guess!

Any other information anyone can glean from these forms would be greatly appreciated.

Cynthia

Cynthia

I confirm Jock Bruce's conclusion that it is 38 Infantry Base Depot and that this was at Etaples, just by the junction of Scout Road and Sussex Road. Although 38 IBD originally supplied drafts for 38th (Welsh) Division, during the Somme it switched to supplying them mainly for battalions of the East and West Surreys (Queen's) and the Buffs.

I think that the C2 Cas reference is the branch of GHQ 3rd Echelon that dealt with the matter and is part of what is clearly the official reference number of the letter sent back to UK stating that he was presumed dead.

Your man clearly enlisted under the Derby Scheme and, as a single man aged 22, was in Group 5. I had thought that Groups 2-5 were mobilised on 25 January 1916 and it is interesting to see that he was called up five days earlier.

Charles M

Thank you, Charles. He must have been considered a prime candidate to be sent into training, although a draper's assistant who was 5'7" and weighed 113 pounds would hardly have been the fighting fit soldier they would salivate over!

Cynthia