Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National Archives Map CD and netbook

Kathie

A tragedy has befallen the best laid plans of....

I have just acquired a netbook (ie small laptop) for use in travelling round. because it is new Windows etc I found my old National Archives CD of maps did not work thereon. I have ordered and just received (most promptly) the latest CD.

The CD is on.

However, the home page of the CD does not appear in its entirey on the screen of the netbook - what is missing is the top left indicator of "map search" which leads one to the maps. I cannot access that logo and words and so I cannot access the maps at all.

The problem is definitely one of the size of the netbook screen (its a Sony and beautifully lightweight etc) because I have tried the CD on my ordinary laptop where the whole homepage appears with all the necessary.

I do not want to travel for weeks round France/Belgium carrying heavy laptop (I just cant manage it) hence this new netbook.

Anyone any ideas what can be done????

In desparation

kathie

A tragedy has befallen the best laid plans of....

I have just acquired a netbook (ie small laptop) for use in travelling round. because it is new Windows etc I found my old National Archives CD of maps did not work thereon. I have ordered and just received (most promptly) the latest CD.

The CD is on.

However, the home page of the CD does not appear in its entirey on the screen of the netbook - what is missing is the top left indicator of "map search" which leads one to the maps. I cannot access that logo and words and so I cannot access the maps at all.

The problem is definitely one of the size of the netbook screen (its a Sony and beautifully lightweight etc) because I have tried the CD on my ordinary laptop where the whole homepage appears with all the necessary.

I do not want to travel for weeks round France/Belgium carrying heavy laptop (I just cant manage it) hence this new netbook.

Anyone any ideas what can be done????

In desparation

kathie

Hi Kathie,

I take it you are running windows 7 on the netbook...

Try going into 'Control panel', then in 'Appearances and Personalisation' select 'adjust screen resolution' this will enable you to change the size of the screen, and may enable you to use your map cd...

regards

Tom

i have tried that - strangely enough - the lower pixels in the resolution even less of the homepage appears on the screen. But I am persevering. I may go to something called "Dial a Nerd" on Monday to see if they can helpo.

Thanks for suggestion. Keep thinking.

Interestingly, the Croonaert maps which arrived same day fit perfectly - but that is simply a list of maps and one just clicks on them - no missing logo.

kathie

• 1 month later...

Kathie

Any progress on this?

i found a similar problem with the NMP, CD. i contacted the publisher and they told me it was due to pixels/screensize blah blah.

Bob