Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shrapnel Ball

Brian Baird

Hi guys, my aunt has a large(ish) metal ball 25.5mm which my Grandfather told her my Great grandfather brought back from France WW1 and it was a ball from a shell, does this ring true? if so which size shell could it have come from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian

The largest size shrapnel ball would be around 26g and 17mm so I would suggest yours isn't a shrapnel ball. But someone may tell us differently. It is hard if not impossible to tell the difference between German and British lead balls unless they have been found in the context of a broken shell. What is yours made of?

What's its exact weight? That will give the number of bullets per pound, which is the key to identifying it if it is a shrapnel bullet. However, it does sound a bit on the big side.

What's its exact weight? That will give the number of bullets per pound, which is the key to identifying it if it is a shrapnel bullet. However, it does sound a bit on the big side.

1" diameter (25.4mm) is a standard size for ball bearings. Usually made of chromed nickel steel. They were about when I was a kid and highly prized as marbles. Probably one of these?

Are there any mines about? I mean mines where they mine metal and mineral ores. Standard ball mills are used for pulverising the ore, and the balls, made of (I think) manganese steel, start off around 2 1/2" diameter, and are discarded when they wear down to about 1", still more or less spherical. I've got a couple somewhere, from a former tin-mine.

Inch diameter does seem big for shrapnel - more like grape or heavy canister from much older times than WW1.

Regards,

MikB

Heres some balls, including a couple of German steel shrapnel balls.

There is a +-1g in the weight of shrapnel balls from the same shell, so I'm not sure the weight would identify country of origin.

post-11859-0-89512300-1316846936.jpg

As we don't know quite where the ball was found, couldn't it be something from the days of the muzzle-loading cannon, cannister shot might fit the bill. Northern France has been fought over more than once. It's novelty might be why it was kept.

I seem to recall one WW1 biog' where the author returning to the old trenches in the early 20's found a musket in the parapet.

G

Interesting thoughts, thanks for the help, I will have to visit her again and get back to you with more info, there is apparently an old family friend that quizzed my Grandfather on it re. the story from my Great Grandfather, I'll try and track him down, if I find out anything I will reply with it here.

Brian

p.s. Someone has sent me a private message, but I am not allowed to read it, probably have'nt posted enough or been a member long enough, but please don't think me rude for not replying :)

As we don't know quite where the ball was found, couldn't it be something from the days of the muzzle-loading cannon, cannister shot might fit the bill. Northern France has been fought over more than once. Its novelty might be why it was kept.

I am reminded of the German soldier found some years ago, who had a flint axe-head in his Brotbeutel.

There is part of a bridle harness in Cawthorne Museum that a local soldier found and brought back from WW1, it is probably from The Franco-Prussian War.