Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women's Memorial

Chris_Baker

For anyone interested there is a great book called BEHIND THE LINES: GENDER AND THE TWO WORLD WARS, ed by Higonnet, Jenson, Michel and Weitz (1987), Yale University Press.

Thanks for the reference. It was new to me. Then it struck me that I did not known any references on this topic, so I have got together a rough and ready bibliography. Rough and ready because I generated it by searching for world war AND women OR gender in the catalogues of the British Library and the Library of Congress. I also searched Ingenta on the same basis for journal references. So I will have missed any relevant works not so titled.

The bibliography is too big to list here but I will be happy to email it anyone who wants it.

here is all info on the monument for ALL allied nurses and women at war.

sorry it is only in French:

http://crdp.ac-reims.fr/memoire/lieux/1ere...infirmieres.htm.

this is a picture of it:

post-8-1090688106.jpg

Guest John Crawley

Clive; on the War Memorial Inventory website I found the following quote, "The UK National Inventory of War Memorials is an information-gathering project. It aims to create a database of information of all known war memorials in the UK, estimated at between 50,000 to 60,000." My error was assuming the memorials were to men. I stand corrected.

John

... In a 1996 letter to Major Robertson, after she had researched the subject, she pointed out the dismal fact and asked him to join with her and her group who had already started the project to have a memorial constructed/erected commemorating the Service Women of WW2. ...

John,

I am curious. Why Major Robertson? What made him appear to be particularly suitable for the project?

Guest John Crawley

Clive; I checked with my mother and she tells me that at the time Major Robertson was a member of the Royal Artillery Association. He later became the President of the ATS Branch of the Ack Ack Command Royal Artillery Association. He was also the organizer of the annual ATS Reunions in those days. So my mother asked him if he could help her by becoming a spokesperson for the project in England. She told me this morning that after she met him she was sorry that she had ever involved him.

As a matter of fact the last ATS Reunion is scheduled for September this year. There are 732 members left.

John

I dont like it. It does nothing and says nothing. I want to look at an sculpture or statue that I can understand without having to find out what it means on the internet. It should explain itself.

Regards

Steve

Clive; I checked with my mother and she tells me that at the time Major Robertson was a member of the Royal Artillery Association. He later became the President of the ATS Branch of the Ack Ack Command Royal Artillery Association. He was also the organizer of the annual ATS Reunions in those days. So my mother asked him if he could help her by becoming a spokesperson for the project in England. She told me this morning that after she met him she was sorry that she had ever involved him.

As a matter of fact the last ATS Reunion is scheduled for September this year. There are 732 members left.

John

John,

I can see that his credentials looked good but I am surprised that these women's organisations and projects were not headed by women.

Perhaps I should revise my opinion? Compared to others it may not be so bad after all. Have you seen what they are putting up to honour Winston?

Have a look at this

Michael D.R.

Hmmm ... Ikea. At least you could use it as a bookstand if it was straightened up.

Lazy art... wonder how may licence payers' lifetime contributions were absorbed by this piece of self-aggrandisement?

Richard

At least we know why the sculpture has been created and the reasoning behind the sculptor's work. A very good choice of material - oak.

I'd like to see you trying to lift that into your car boot at IKEA ! :rolleyes:

Of course, Myrtle and Michaeldr, we three run the risk of being thought of as inhibited, parochial bigots for not appreciating the artist's concept of Churchill being remembered through an overpriced novelty bookshelf made from - and here is the very clever symbolism - English oak. (God, that's clever.)

I wonder whether he will next make a commemorative feature for the wonderful Lord Horatio Nelson, Admiral of the White? A wonky plastic paddling pool or a drinking fountain spring to mind.

I view much of this style of art in the same way as I view synchronised swimming or the Majorettes' baton twirling: very difficult to master, I am sure, but why would you want to do it and why do you think others want to see you doing it?

Ho hum, back to my cave...

Richard

Of course, Myrtle and Michaeldr, we three run the risk of being thought of as inhibited, parochial bigots for not appreciating the artist's concept of Churchill being remembered through an overpriced novelty bookshelf made from - and here is the very clever symbolism - English oak. (God, that's clever.)

Richard

Don't get me wrong. I quite like the sculpture especially as it isn't a recreation of Chuchill's unmade four poster. :)

Perhaps I should revise my opinion? Compared to others it may not be so bad after all. Have you seen what they are putting up to honour Winston?

Have a look at this

Michael D.R.

I looked, Michael, and wish I hadn't! It's like a clothes horse. -I have an old one they could have had for free. But Myrtle's right - it might have been an unmade bed. We should be gratefiul - at least a clothes horse, while not particularly inspiring, has its uses.

Marina

Michael,

I just had a look too, .......... :o EEEEEEEEEEEEK!!

It looks like a dish rack to me!

Think I saw something similar in my local hardware store :blink: .

cheers Shelley

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Crawley

Clive; I have been away for a while. Your querrie regarding the organizations and women heading up the project can be answered two ways. Women in Canada started the project. Women in the UK supported the project, Dame Vera Lynn, the Princess Royal, Betty Boothroyd, etc. but as you may know England is still lagging behind the times when it comes to women and women's issues. Just look at the style of the war memorial. Major (Ret'd) Robertson should not have been precluded because of his gender or the reverse of the above statement becomes true. Gender had nothing to do with the offer to become involved which was accepted by Robertson. His later actions to change the memorial and in my opinion, claim the credit is another story.

John

I have just received a very pleasant letter and a package of material from Betty Boothroyd.

I will digest it and distil within the next few days.

Gwyn

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Crawley

All quiet on the Womens War Memorial front for now, but opposition is growing to the Hats and Coats styled, 1 million pound sterling ediface to be placed in the City of Westminster.

Many ex-service women are writing their MP's with a call to return the memorial to its original intent - a memorial to the British service women of WWII. Many are suggesting that a second memorial to all women who sacrificed during the war(s) is needed and should not have been overlooked. It is the 'overlooked' and 'forgotten' aspect to all of this that has many, many women and men so upset.

John

• 2 months later...

Perhaps the Long Long Trail could inaugerate a project to provide an appropriate women and mens World War One memorial, depicting women and men of the various countries involved in the war ! In the photo depicted here, I don;t think heads should be hidden and looking downward. In acts of service, nursing, civil service, resistance , humanitarian, etc, faces are involved in a variety of expressions and movements. In any event, the proposed WW2 memorial should mention Ww1 as so many comments here agree.

I tried to find 'sense' in the sculpture ... in terms of WSC.

The best I could do ... after much peering at the picture .. was ???

Under the influence of many, many drams, I could probably say it represented unity .. well, it is all joined up! And that under WSC the nation eventually united and moved upwards towards victory (really stretching it) but ..

The final travesty was .. if you look at the make up of the object .. it reminds me of a game we used to play called :- one potato,two potato ..

For those who don't know that's a countdown game usually used to determine who is 'it' in hide'n'seek. Surreal ... so is the sculpture.

I had that Michaelangelo Bloke in the back of me cab once ... I said OI!! Michael what is about this ceiling painting lark ...

While i agree with memorials for all sorts of reasons, what ever money is spent on, i do believe in trying to get value for money, and if thats the best they can come up with for a million quid, then they may as well just do a memorial plaque. For a million quid i would expect something to knock me back, something that i would remember for a long time, that looks like the slag pieces left over from a furnace, those who know about metal castings will know what i mean. sorry. :(

From The Elephant To The Wee Mouse

-Memorials

:rolleyes: During the week on the news I spotted an items about a truly wonderful Memorial to acknowledge the service of animals in the First World War, a gigantic memorial and beautifully done, although i have not seen it, neither do I know all the details yets. There were representations of horses, pigeons, camel, etc.

This is a worthy and lovely idea, but

What about an adequate memorial to the memory of all the women involved in both World Wars ? Nurses, Wives, Communications, Labour Forces ?

I have not yet got the history of the animals in war project.

I hope it is not considered '''distateful" to mention the above in this Womens In The War thread !