Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inter War Pilgrimages to the Western Front

ianw

Regarding Will Bird's book '13 years After' - the edition published by Ted Smith (the cheaper one) is only part of the book and might be an later abridged version. The one published by CEF books is the full version - and in my opinion, the one worth buying.

Thought so.

The front cover only mentions battlefields around Ypres.

Dave

Ian,

Keep your eye open for "The Immortal Salient" An Historical Record and Complete Guide for Pilgrims to Ypres, compiled by Lt.-Gen. Sir W. Pulteney and Beatrix Brice. This is an 89 page guide that was published for the 'Ypres League' in 1925. price Five Shillings.

It comes with two maps, a 1'x1' general map of the Salient, the other a large 3'x3' map showing the position of cemeteries and memorials. The map also shows the roads that were then (1925) possible for motor traffic.

Included in this 89 page guide is the outline of history of the "Battles of Ypres" 1st - 4th & Battle of Messines 1917, and the account of the blocking operations at Zeebrugge and Ostende. Also included is a list of cemeteries and an index of 13 routes to follow that radiate from Ypres outward through the Salient.

I expect there may have been guides published for other areas?

In the 1930’s The War Office published pamphlets on Tour of the Battlefield. The one I have is a 36 page tour of the “Battle of Le Cateau 26th Aug 1914” published in 1934, with map and Panorama sketches, price Two Shillings.

Inside it says the information given is intended to form a framework only for the study by officers of the battle of Le Cateau, again other titles may have been published?

I expect you may find copies of above in the IWM library?

Alan Seymour

Yes, the Immortal Salient is an interesting document, but there were no similar ones produced for other areas.

The Army Field Guides you mentioned were produced for just that - the Army. They were never designed for use by the public. All of the ones I have seen cover the 1914 period only.