Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo Location

Auimfo

Can anyone identify these cemeteries which are obviously somewhere on the Western Front. I am aware that after the war many groups of cemeteries were moved and consolidated by the CWGC so it may be that the cemeteries depicted in these phots no longer exist. They come from my grandfather's collection of photos and appear to have held some significance to him. If this is the case then I can think of only two possibilities -

His brother was killed at Ploegsteert in 1917 and buried at Underhill Farm cemetery

His best friend was killed near Becordal in 1917 and buried in a cemetery there.

If these photos are of these places can anyone confirm it and if not is anyone able to identify where they actually are? I know it's a 'needle in a haystack' question but unless I ask, I'll never know.

Thanks,

Tim L.

post-4-1090127410.jpg

Brilliant photos, Tim. To help identification, can you read any of the grave marker inscriptions on the top photo? Any names?

The second photo does indeed look like Underhill Farm; the first could easily be Dartmoor Cemetery at Becordel by the look of the trees.

As Chris says - any names visible?

Ok, I've scanned the grave on the very right of the photo - it's the only one that seems to show any definition at 1200 dpi.

I'm not 100% sure of it's inscription but it appears to say 'Field Co Engr' and definately 'AIF'. Can anyone else decipher any of it.

Tim L.

post-4-1090230823.jpg

And just for practice here's another one from my Grandfather's collection to try and decipher. This is a photo of a trench somewhere. The top sign at the end clearly points to a dressing station (my grandfather served with the 4th Field Amb. AIF) but what does the bottom sign say. Are we able to pinpoint the location of this trench?

Tim L.

post-4-1090231629.jpg

Tim.

Although hard to be sure I think the grave is of Sapper EJ Goodwin (4259), 12th Field Coy Engineers, AIF. He was killed on 11/1/1917 and was indeed buried at Dartmoor Cemetery.

Neil

Neil,

I'm pretty certain your right. I previously thought the number had a '_25_' in the middle and that it was either '2nd' or '12th'. It also appeared to me that the surname started with 'G' and had a 'W' in it. Added to that the fact that my Grandfather buried his best friend Sgt William Chisholm (KIA 6/5/1917) at Becordal and it all falls into place.

The excerpt from my Grandfathers diary reads:

"Major Welch went and brought Sgt Chisholm's body down here. I set it out and sewed it up in a blanket. It was hard, my oldest and best pal in our corps. At 3pm we buried him at the cemetery in Becordal."

Tim L.

Tim.

Their current grave sites do not appear to be very close based on the CWGC plan of the cemetery. However, if you look on the close up scan of Sapper Goodwin's grave that you posted is that Sgt Chisholm's grave in the background - it certainly seems to be the same shape?

Neil