Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1888 Bayonet Regimental?

MikeS0000

Hi Folks -

Found a pretty decent Wilkinson mfg. M1888 Bayonet with dates of '95, '98, '04 and '07. Thought the '07 was interesting, and it has a regimental on the pommel of C.K.M. over 189. I can't find this one in any references I have. Wondered if someone might help with this.

Thanks!

- Mike

G'day Mike, sounds like you may have a tricky one there, as there is nothing like a match to any mainstream British regiment abbreviations in any of my references.

However I do have a listing of about 100 of the county based associations that were part of the early Territorial Force, and I believe one of those may be a suspect.?

The one I have in mind is Clack mannan which was a Scottish shire that supported a couple of volunteer and militia battalions, before they were rolled into the A & SH's.

Not certain how that fits in with the dates you have noted, but it wouldn't be the first time that militia unit markings were found that were a throwback to much earlier times.!

EDIT. Another possibility which I have just found might be Clackmannanshire and Kinross Militia, which apparently was another name that these volunteers served under.

Cheers, S>S

With these type of markings just about anything is a 'possibilty' - then its just a process of research and elimination to try and thin these out to a list of 'probables'.

In other words nothing is a certainty, but in this case I feel with the number and range of British re-issues?? then its most likely to be some second-line British unit.

Cheers, S>S

Found a pretty decent Wilkinson mfg. M1888 Bayonet with dates of '95, '98, '04 and '07....

Hi Mike,

Does it have the crown mark on the ricasso? I have a Wilkinson 1888 that doesn't have the crown, and S>S has suggested to me in another thread that the lack of a crown mark might indicate that mine was a Volunteer issue. I only ask with regard to yours because that might help in tracking down the regimental mark a bit better...!!!

Trajan

Thank you Gentlemen!

Trajan - Yes, there is the standard "Crown / VR" on the ricasso and the usual inspection marks and "Broad Arrow / WD" on the opposite ricasso. There has not been any rework to this one as all markings are nice and crisp and raised to the steel. The regimental looks to have been the only one applied. No evidence of other previous stamps. Will post some pics later.

Best regards!

- Mike

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Trajan

Ooooooh, you lucky little .... err, what's the right term :whistle: .... ah yes - bayonet collector! :thumbsup: With Enfield(?) marks on BOTH grips as well! Wow! The colour green is replacing my normal pinkish-reddish facial complexion... And I would hazard a guess that all the other P1888 collectors on GWF will also be going the same way when they see these photographs...

Congrats!

Trajan

EDIT: oh yes, you really wanted to know about the regimental marks... S>S, any more or alternative suggestions?

Trajan, the inspection marks on the grips are Crown/49/W meaning it was viewed at the Wilkinson factory where it was made.

Actually now that I have seen the unit marking it looks like CK. M, which would more likely suggest the Cork Militia (as in the Irish county Cork)

In one of my references the listing has the CK. abbreviation clearly shown as Cork, so that might well be it. It always helps to see the actual marking.

Cheers, S>S

Thanks Trajan, SS -

Most interesting! I'm not that knowledgeable on these bayonets, but the Co. Cork Militia would be very nice. My relatives were from there, but probably on the pointy end of the blade. :rolleyes:

Will take some better pics of the full length tomorrow. We're actually expecting some sun!

Best regards,

- Mike

Those are great photos! But I'll leave a commentary to S>S as, a), he knows the most, and B), it's near bedtime for the nippers!

Trajan

Couple more photos added below. The script-like "DE"in interesting? Needs a bit of polish!

Yes thats right Mike, I saw that marking in the first photo and likewise I was mystified - thanks for adding the closeup.

In the pic below I've zoomed in on the marking, and it seems its part of the viewers inspection stamp for the '04 reissue.

You can just see the Crown over B on top of it. I think its most likely a D6 stamp that has been damaged, leaving the partial imprint.

Actually it doesn't look like that example has seen much polishing in service either, some of the stamps still have the raised edges.!

EDIT. Just thinking ... that would make a lot of sense for a 'militia' bayonet - not as strictly regimented as the "spit'n'polish" line infantry.!

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-66580200-1317161108.jpg

Needs a bit of polish!

To polish / clean, or not, that is indeed the question! In my limited experience (tried it once with a German ersatz), polishing / cleaning old bayonet blades can actually reveal or leave blatantly obviously 'orrible marks you would rather not see.. Yours has a lovely patina and a beautiful series of marks, and the marks are visible to all, so IMHO, best to leave it as it is!

Again, congrats on a really nice acquistion - and a belated welcome to the P1888 bayonet lovers fraternity, a very exclusive body if you see how few we are compared to the overall membership of the GWF!

Trajan

Not to worry, only a light cleaning for this to stabilize a couple of spots of rust and that's it. As SS mentioned, I don't believe it has ever seen a polish. All of the stamps are well raised as if they were just struck. Perhaps it was saved because of the 'outpost' it was at?

One more regimental if you don't mind, on my one other 88. It is "YK M RGA over 271" The M is higher on the pommel than the rest, but all the rest in the same line other than the number.

Many thanks!

- Mike

One more regimental if you don't mind, on my one other 88. It is "YK M RGA over 271"

The M is higher on the pommel than the rest, but all the rest in the same line other than the number.

Well the M stamped on its own is normally for Militia, while YK. is definitely Yorkshire, and R.G.A. is of course the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Don't know how that all fits in with an actual unit, but I'm sure a little research will help to fill in the gaps. (Oh, and 271 would be a rack number)

EDIT. Just had a quick look and it must certainly be the Yorkshire Royal Garrison Artillery Militia (you can read all about it HERE .!)

Cheers, S>S

Well the M stamped on its own is normally for Militia, while YK. is definitely Yorkshire, and R.G.A. is of course the Royal Garrison Artillery.

Don't know how that all fits in with an actual unit, but I'm sure a little research will help to fill in the gaps. (Oh, and 271 would be a rack number)

EDIT. Just had a quick look and it must certainly be the Yorkshire Royal Garrison Artillery Militia (you can read all about it HERE .!)

Cheers, S>S

Thank you! :thumbsup: