Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Uniform and unit

Guest Dionysius51

Guest Dionysius51

Would really like to find as much information as possible relating to unit, service number, where served etc. His name is William Barnes, born 1874 in Dalton in Furness. In 1911 (census) shown living at 53 Meadow Street, Llanhilleth, Monmouthshire. Married to Eva Barnes (nee Ingerson) born 1886 in Bridgewater, Somerset. Children in 1911 John (6), Walter (3) and Ellen Ann (4 Mths). Any information greatly appreciated.

post-79276-0-13914400-1316606242.jpg

Not much to go on here I am afraid. Likely a mounted man due to bandolier however could be cavalry, a driver in artillery, Army Service Corps, Engineers or on Regimental Transport of an infantry battalion. Can you do a closeup of shoulders? Is there a middle name? Did he have any children during the war as his unit might be recorded on their birth certificates if he was serving at the time.

Rgds

Tim D

He also lookes to have medal ribbons, and his age would allow him South Africa or India campaign service. As to Regiment I think Tim has covered the stops.

Rob

There is a William Barnes born at Dalton, Lancashire circa 1870 in the WO96 Militia records on FindMyPast. I can't supply any other details as I don't subscribe.

Steve.

Thats why I asked about middle name Stebie...this man's middle name is Taylor. He died in service in 1917 aged 19 years. Father's name is John so not him either.

Enlargements of the shoulder straps to see what type of titles he is wearing, and his left chest to see what medals he might be wearing might help.

Rgds

Tim D

Guest Dionysius51

Thats why I asked about middle name Stebie...this man's middle name is Taylor. He died in service in 1917 aged 19 years. Father's name is John so not him either.

Enlargements of the shoulder straps to see what type of titles he is wearing, and his left chest to see what medals he might be wearing might help.

Rgds

Tim D

Thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I only have an emailed copy of the photo but will try to get a higher resolution copy and repost if it is any clearer. Regards