Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hill 60 Area

auditman

Hi Guys

A battalion that I am follwoing spent quiter a bit of time late 1916 and early 1917 in and around Hill 60. Would anyone have a map thay can share that specifies the area of Left-Sector.

Most books and references that I have seen state that the trenches there were numbered but this info did not find its way into the War Diary, so I can't properly put my finger on the right bit. If it would help on one particular occasion in that sector the Battalion had three companies In Left-Sector Left, Right and Centre and a fourth company at Railway Dugouts.

Other names that seem to crop up as far as dispositions go, that I have yet to locate are Chateau Belge, Fosse Way, Battersea Farm.

Finally just to be totally cheeky, can some one please pinpoint the locations of Scottish Camp and Halifax Camp where they moved to following trench duties?

I appreciate that I am asking a lot

Many thanks

Jim

Hi Jim, just had time for a quick look on 'Linesman', and here's a couple of places mentioned in your post

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-26958300-1316760784.jpg

Well ...looks like it was a waste of my time seeking out some of the requested information..!!

Tom

Well ...looks like it was a waste of my time seeking out some of the requested information..!!

Tom

Well, I was interested Tom. Maps? I just love 'em.

Roger

Well, I was interested Tom. Maps? I just love 'em.

Roger

Thanks Roger, at least one person is interested in a map requested by someone else...

best regards

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this Tom.

Looks like another case of someone requesting information and then then not saying thanks when someone goes to some trouble.

I have posted a couple of comments on this lack of manners before. It certainly does not encourage me to help if possible.

Regards Peter

....and I had a look too. Maps are always interesting. So it wasn't all in vain, I enjoyed looking. It is frustrating though when people make requests then ignore your efforts.

Len

Yes Guy's, it can be a pain when there's no reply to a posted request, but let's be thankful that it is a rare occurrence on our forum.

The willingness of forum members to help one another, is one of the things which makes it so very enjoyable and educational to me....

regards

Tom

Yes Guy's, it can be a pain when there's no reply to a posted request, but let's be thankful that it is a rare occurrence on our forum.

The willingness of forum members to help one another, is one of the things which makes it so very enjoyable and educational to me....

regards

Tom

Hear hear :thumbsup:

Roger

• 1 month later...

Hi

Sorry chaps and in particular Tom

I had not picked up this post for a while, I can't see how I missed it. I normally do try and say thanks but missed out on this occasion.

I do appreciate the effort put in by the Pals on this site and the map posted was fantastic.

Once again I apologise for my tardiness in actually reading the reply to my original post and I have no wish to offend

Jim

Hi

Sorry chaps and in particular Tom

I had not picked up this post for a while, I can't see how I missed it. I normally do try and say thanks but missed out on this occasion.

I do appreciate the effort put in by the Pals on this site and the map posted was fantastic.

Once again I apologise for my tardiness in actually reading the reply to my original post and I have no wish to offend

Jim

Ok Jim, no problem, I know I sometimes have to back-track to check what postings I've made to check see if there's any follow ups.

regards

Tom

• 1 year later...

Jim

Please find an extract of the map you require, sorry for the delay.

John

Sorry upside cdown.

John

post-1365-0-24476600-1383851593_thumb.jp