Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cwgc

andy 1

has anybody ever tried getting the cwgc to change any info about a dead soldier on there site.

the reason i ask is that my grandfathers cousin was kia on 1/7/1916 on the somme.he was in the 1st bttn lincolnshire regiment.

the cwgc on there site say he was killed on the 9/7/1916 and that he was in the 2nd bttn lincolnshire regiment.

i believe the cwgc are wrong because

a the mics for the soldier says kia 1/7/1916,1st bttn lincolnshire regiment

b the archivist for the regiment says the same

c the grimsby roll of honour says the 1st bttn.

d the regimental war diaries say the 1st bttn

any info would be appreciated

thanks

andy 1

Andy,

Yes there have been numerous instances of this detailed on the forum in the past.

Terry Denham is the man to provide you with what you need to proceed but as far as I remember you have to have pretty concrete evidence.

Bob.

Hi,

Use the search to search for a members name and put Terry's name in.

I've had the same as you as a medal group i have has the wrong service number on CWGC!

Hi Andy

It can be done but you will need proof like copies of medal roll entries or any other proof to back your case up, to get the CWGC to change any thing.

Annette

thanks for the reply annette

do you think the things i mentioned in my first post would be enough.

andy

Hi Andy

I would say yes they are, you will need copies of them, may be others can give more advice here. Have you emailed the CWGC to see if its a scanning error, there are lots of mistakes on their site because of scanning errors, they will soon tell you if its a scanning error.

Annette

Medal Index Card definitely not enough. You should in the first instance obtain the entry (or entries) in the medal rolls. That might give useful addition information.

Have you thought about obtaining a copy of his civil death certificate? That might also be useful.

Have you tried the war diary of each battalion?

hi chris

i didn't know you could get a copy of a civil death certificate.where do you get it from'

he was born,lived and enlisted in great grimsby.do you have to go to the registrar of bmd in that town to obtain the said death certificate.

also i don't know where i would find the war diary of his battalion (1st bttn lincolnshire regiment).

thanks

andy 1

The Family Records website tells you how you can obtain a copy of a death certificate.

And while you're there, there's an interesting article on "Women in war" on the site at the moment. There's a link from the home page.

Hello Andy!!!

My Great Grandfather William Crick was recorded on the CWGC website with his real name - Crick - being given as an alias, and the "real" family name being listed as Boyce - his headstone is marked Boyce too. Where Boyce came from I have no idea - I suppose he must have joined the army under a false name when he originally signed up - around 1902-03. Anyway, after receiving some good advice and encouragement from this forum (Terry Denham, Chris Baker, Raster Scanning among others) I wrote to the CWGC, sending them copies of my Great Grandfather's birth, death and marriage certificates, and they agreed to amend their records and also change the name on the headstone. Obviously it could take quite a while before everything is rectified, but in my experience the CWGC is both understanding and efficient. Write to them explaining your problem - you won't regret it.

Good luck, and all the best,

Tony

I have responded to Andy off-Forum and will try to help him.

Generally, I would say that Andy's list of 'evidence' sources above is nowhere near solid enough. At least two of them would be disregarded other than as supporting evidence.

The first item to get will always be the death certificate (if trying to prove a different date) although changes can be made without on occasions.

Proof has to come from official sources and other 'evidence' will only act as support.

This does not apply to clerical or scanning errors which can be easily checked and corrected. The possibility of these should always be checked first.

If anyone has examples of errors they think should be corrected, I am always happy to help.