Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 Bat. Irish Guards Training Rifle

Guest edbear2

Firstly, Hello to all on here, I am like many others on here I suspect, who's Grandfathers both fought, and in my case one sadly remains, in France.

I have a great deal of interest and family history in this period of the 20th century, but my first post is regarding a training weapon from that time.

One of my interests is the BSA company, and in particular pre 1918 Air Weapons, and this is a request for help from any Guards Regiment experts put there. I have contacted the Guards Museum as well regarding this weapon, but hopefully someone on here may also have information.

I am researching a vintage air rifle which forms part of a small collection of vintage air weapons that I shoot at Bisley, and in local leagues. A brief history of this particular type which is quite rare (400 made), is that after the Boer war, Lord Roberts , Lord Ednam and Baden Powell, who had seen the effect of skilled Boer marksmanship personally in one case at least, set about on their return to England promoting small bore training for British youngsters to improve the individual standard of marksmanship. At this time (1905-6) BSA were putting into production a revolutionary for the period air rifle designed by Lincoln Jeffries, which soon was used by thousands of newly formed air rifle clubs as well as private schools and cadet forces. Never a company to miss an opportunity, BSA introduced a modified version for use hopefully by cadet forces and the military, using modified furniture and other parts including a dummy bolt, from the service rifle of the time to simulate the weight and feel of the service arm, although the mechanism is simply an air rifle dressed up as a long Lee Enfield. These were very expensive (80 shillings in 1908) , and not produced in large numbers. Period advertising made large of the fact that the weapon was used by "many regiments" including the Royal Horse Guards, The 1st V.B. Royal Warwickshire Regt. and the Central London Rangers amongst others.

There is quite a lot of information online about the use of these by the military pre WW1, and I have a lot more information and literature about this type, but wish to keep this post concise...It was the case that the BEF in WW1 had many, many soldiers who learnt the basics using both this type, and the normal pattern of BSA / Lincoln air rifles, both in the thousands of clubs set up in the very early 1900's before volunteering, and in various cadet corps and private schools. and indeed whole clubs volunteered together in the same manner of that of the pals regiments, so it is with a great sense of pride that I maintain this in good working order,

The rifle designation is "BSA AIR RIFLE - MILITARY PATTERN", and mine is stamped, both on the butt and barrel "1 BN. IRISH GUARDS" (2).......the (2) referring to the gun number I would say as the regiment would have several.

Ironically, one of the main proponents of establishing schools of marksmanship in the country in these early days was Lord Roberts as mentioned, and the early Guards Nickname was of course "Bob's Own"

My apoligies for diving straight in on my first post with a question, but researching these early weapons is a long and frustrating business at times,

thank you in advance for any replies,

Edward

That is a very nice air rifle. I cannot help specifically with the Irish Guards, but marked as it is and without any Inspection stamps my guess is that they were bought with regimental funds, rather than being issue weapons. Others may correct me though.

Of course, post WWI there were military issue Webley air rifles (two Marks I believe) and air rifles are still issued today.

With regards to Lord Roberts and the miniature rifle movement after the Boer War there was also the .22 rimfire "War Office Pattern" training rifle. Designed at Enfield and made by both BSA and LSA these were intended, like your rifle, to give boys an idea of what a military rifle was like. My 1909 LSA is shown below.

Regards

TonyE

post-8515-0-56124600-1316421177.jpg