Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When were medals actually given to soldiers

liamcornes1983

When exactly were the trio of medals actually given to soldiers?

anyone know?

Regards

Liam

They seem to have started issuing 1914 Stars in 1919. The 1914/15 Star, BWM and VM followed from 1920 to 1923 ish.

If you have a particular soldier to check, then his MIC(medal index card) will usually give a date of issue for his medals.

Liam,

My forebear was "certified according to Official Records" to be entitled to the " Mons" Star, in January 1918, per the Battalion Medal Roll.

He was killed,in March 1918,so presumably knew nothing about his War and Victory Medals,whether he had time between the date "of his award" of the "Mons Star" i.e.receive the relevant piece of ribbon,sew it on his uniform and be proud, before his death, is open to debate.

George

p.s Why does the web-site refuse to accept "191 Star"?

Liam

The 1914 Star (or Mons Star as it was unofficially known) was authorised in August 1917 viz Army Order number 35;

the 1914-15 Star was authorised in December 1918 and eligibility was announced in Army Order number 20 of 1919;

the British War Medal was authorised on 26 July 1919 viz Army Order number 266;

the Victory Medal was authorised viz Army Order number 301 of 1919.

Graeme

The 1914 Star (or Mons Star as it was unofficially known) was authorised in August 1917 viz Army Order number 35;

the 1914-15 Star was authorised in December 1918 and eligibility was announced in Army Order number 20 of 1919;

the British War Medal was authorised on 26 July 1919 viz Army Order number 266;

the Victory Medal was authorised viz Army Order number 301 of 1919.

Greame, those are the dates the medals were first authorized - this is essentially when they are officially called into existence. This is quite different from when the medals themselves were actually issued (which is as Old Owl stated).

That's why I gave authorisation dates, not dates of issue.

Looking through my notes, I have the following (culled from information at the PRO, when it was the PRO and not TNA):

Most 1914 Stars were issued between 1919 and 1921 although issue continued up to 1934.

The 1914-15 Star was not available for issue until July 1920 (although I have a question mark after this date so probably haven't found absolute confirmation)

Issue of the British War Medal and Victory Medal commenced June 1921 (but possibly this should be 1920)

So far I haven't come across a note of when issues of each medal was stopped.

Graeme

That's why I gave authorisation dates, not dates of issue.

Quite, but when the original poster specifies "When exactly were the trio of medals actually given to soldiers?", that sort of information can confuse the issue if it's not clearly pointed out as such. Your second reply was much more orientated towards the question in that respect.

Officially first issue of WW1 medals only stopped a few years ago. However, there were various reissues to veterans outside the date, and some issues to descendants as well, so it seems if you kick up enough of a fuss to all intents and purposes issue hasn't yet stopped...