Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Trowbridge - Lt - cap band

battiscombe

I have a photo from RGA Cadet School Trowbridge - perhaps 1916? - with 4 of the 12 officers on staff wearing dark bands to caps. Any suggestions as to the possible significance of this? I have not encountered this in later (1917 and 1918) 'graduation' photos of officer cadets and staff. Gunnery instructors?? any suggestions welcome ..

post-7621-0-93538000-1316365175.jpg

I have a photo from RGA Cadet School Trowbridge - perhaps 1916? - with 4 of the 12 officers on staff wearing dark bands to caps. Any suggestions as to the possible significance of this? I have not encountered this in later (1917 and 1918) 'graduation' photos of officer cadets and staff. Gunnery instructors?? any suggestions welcome ..

That's not a dark cap band - it's a dark cap with a light coloured cap cover on the top... :thumbsup:

My understanding is that Instructors of Gunnery wore a red hat band. Dick Flory

Yes, it's the pre-war coloured forage cap for RA, which was (and still is) dark blue with a red band. Cap covers were often worn to indicate qualified instructors of gunnery (IG). After the war SD caps with a removable red band were worn and the sergeant major equivalents (at that time termed AIG) wore white cap covers.