Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a bit puzzled

andy 1

if a b e f soldier embarked for france in september 1914 and was killed on the somme in 1916 would the soldier be entitled to the 1914-15 star

I think if he landed in France in September 1914 he would be entitled to the 1914 Star, commonly called a 'Mons Star'; if he came into contact with the enemy before mid-late November he would also be entitled to a bar for this award.

He would also have the BWM and the Victory Medal, which should have been sent to his nominated n.o.k. along with a Death Plaque and a Memorial Scroll in the early 1920s.

Richard

thanks for the reply dirty dick,i thought the 1914 star was for navy personel only but i am not sure.

i have checked the medal index cards and your right the soldier i am interested in was awarded the bwm and the victory medal,but there is no mention of the 1914 or 1914-15 star even though he was in france in september 1914.

regards

andy 1

thanks for the reply dirty dick,i thought the 1914 star was for navy personel only but i am not sure.

i have checked the medal index cards and your right the soldier i am interested in was awarded the bwm and the victory medal,but there is no mention of the 1914 or 1914-15 star even though he was in France in september 1914.

regards

andy 1

The 1914 Star was for Land Forces in France & Flanders only{including members of the RND Naval Brigade}Royal Navy Seamen serving aboard Warships etc, in 1914 Received the 1914~1915 Star.as did Land Forces serving in other theatres of War in 1914.I would recommend a read of Major L.L.Gordons British Battles & Medals{Various Editions}for clarification of Qualification for Campaign Medals

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The bar to the 1914 Star had to be applied for - it was not sent automatically if you were killed unlike medals.

i have checked the medal index cards and your right the soldier i am interested in was awarded the bwm and the victory medal,but there is no mention of the 1914 or 1914-15 star even though he was in france in september 1914.

regards

andy 1

Hi Andy

If he has a medal index card on the new on-line system try checking again but with just his service number in the bottom search field and no other details. He may have a seperate card just for his 14 star, and possibly with a different name spelling. This method will, with luck, then find the extra card.

Steve

no joy hmsk212

i tried what you said and tried different spellings of his name fleshbourne 6563

no 14 star or 14-15 star

thanks anyway

andy 1

The 1914 Star was for Land Forces in France & Flanders only{including members of the RND Naval Brigade}

This is not a Navy question however it may be helpful to others if I can expand a little on Harry’s reply above. The 1914 Star was awarded to the Navy personnel who had landed for service on shore [full details in Fleet Order of 3rd Jan 1918]

Those entitled included:

The RND’s Naval and Marine Brigades

RMA

Ambulance 65 Hospital Burnyear – Belgian Red Cross [only one person named]

Armoured Car Section (Attached RNAS)

Armoured Trains [there were three trains; HMAT Churchill, HMAT Deguise & HMAT Jellicoe]

Brigade and Divisional Staff

First British Field Hospital, Belgium

Machine Gun Parties [these were landed at Neiuport from HMS Severn, Humber & Mersey]

Motor Owner Drivers

Motor Transport Section

Mrs Stobart’s Hospital Unit

RNAS

RN Sick Berth Reserve – HMS Pembroke

Transport Staff

Hospital Bell Vue, Nolo-les-Bains, Dunkirk

Staff of General Officers, Commanding (RM Brigades)

Belgian Military Mission HQ Staff

Special Service Dunkirk

Naval Ordnance Depot Dunkirk

Special Service Nieuport

Special Service Army

Special Service at GHQ France

Details from ‘The 1914 Star to the Royal Navy & Royal Marines’ by Fevyer & Wilson

Regards

Michael D.R.