Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I fear this might be a ridiculous question but...

Bardess

This may not help at all. Messed with the image a bit, brightness and contrast. Difficult one. Can't quite make it out/ Looks like last three letters of the first word could be .....gry?

dianne2.jpg

Thanks Caryl, it is a tricky one - still not sure.

Allie.

205509 William Arthur Graham HOBBS died Q4/1920 after being discharged in 1919. He had a GSW to his right shoulder in 1917. I think the first letter is a capital P which made me think of Pulmonary

Embolism doesn't seem to fit the letter shapes and neither does hypertension nor fibrosis. Plain old 'disease' doesn't either. Pulmonary emphysema?

The other beginning could be Poly...something. (At least we know it's not going to be polycystic ovaries!)

It seems odd that he was recovered enough from his 1917 GSW to remain enlisted til 1919 and then die from something related to it a year later again.

Allie

Di,

It might be just as easy to drop Terry a line to see if they can get a hold of his DC as this may provide clearer direction.

Cheers Andy.

Hi Diane,

Going back to your initial question. Yes, he probably should be recognised by the CWGC, that is if his death was seen to be related to his war service wound.

Presumably if his widow was granted a pension then it would seem that the W.O. thought that his death was associated with his wound, otherwise I don't think that they would have included the phrase: "---is eligible for pension under the usual conditions."

At that time the W.O. were pretty keen to avoid paying out for anything at all, if it could be avoided!!

Robert

It is Pulmonary Tuberculosis. However, this man was not medically discharged with TB, he was de-mobilised to the "Z" Reserve. His records do show that the authorities were aware of his death ( letter dated 1922) and a pension was being paid.

Jim

He was discharged with VDH. The DC does state Pulmonary Tuberculosis and has been put forward for consideration through IFCP. :) Apparently the pension cited TB. Here's hoping...

• 2 months later...