Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rawalpindi to Quetta March

saltburn55

I wonder if anyone can help with my research.

I am trying to find any information about a March between Rawalpindi and Quetta that took place sometime between 1911 and 1915.

My father in-law took part in this and was part of the 520th Siege Battery RGA.

I am keen to find out anything to do with it as at the moment I know nothing other than the distance was about 600 miles.

Was it part of a campaign or simply a journey between 2 points ?

I am starting out on my journey of research and would value ANY help or input

Welcome Saltburn55,

I suspect this is the distance between two garrisons of the then British Empire. The RGA and other units manned these and other garrisons in India on a rotational basis, but this was not when he was with 520 SB. Without more information I cannot yet pinpoint the company Meckiffe was with in India but with such a distinctive surname the 1911 census may provide you with the answer. 520 SB would be the last battery he served with during the Great War, as it only went out to the Western front in March 1918. Prior to that he saw servce on the Western Front with 108 SB, a 6in Howitzer battery, until posted to home establishment in May 1917 at Vimy.

Rgds

Paul

Welcome Saltburn55,

I suspect this is the distance between two garrisons of the then British Empire. The RGA and other units manned these and other garrisons in India on a rotational basis, but this was not when he was with 520 SB. Without more information I cannot yet pinpoint the company Meckiffe was with in India but with such a distinctive surname the 1911 census may provide you with the answer. 520 SB would be the last battery he served with during the Great War, as it only went out to the Western front in March 1918. Prior to that he saw servce on the Western Front with 108 SB, a 6in Howitzer battery, until posted to home establishment in May 1917 at Vimy.

Rgds

Paul

HI PAUL, I thanks again for the info you have provided, I wonder if you can clarify a few points.

I wonder if you know what the "home establishment" refers to that you mention in 1917 at Vimy ?

Do you know of any records indicating that something extra terrible or traumatic happened on one of these regular marches between the two garrisons, this is the family information that has been handed down to me ?

I have found out that he was with the No7 Mountain Battery RGA , Quetta from a return in the 1911 census as you suggested, thanks. How can I tell where we was posted from here, is there something that shows transfers between regiments?

I have also managed to clarify that his first regt service number was 31013 and he final number he received in 1920 was 1404471.

I am very grateful for the time and effort you have put into helping me. I have managed to scan a card he sent to his parents which has some detail on the reverse but unfortunately a very faded image on the front. I thought you may like to see this. I have both sides scanned but have had to reduce the quality and size drastically to allow it to be attached , sorry.post-79228-0-32470900-1316786966.jpg

paul as requested here is the other side of the postcard.

You asked how we confirmed that he was in the 520 B - We have his discharge certificate that states that he was in 520 Seige Battery RGA. This also has another number at the top SERIAL Number 14524.

post-79228-0-51280600-1317376542.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Rene,

Please please can you mail me a good quality scan of the postcard you have attached to this thread.

My Great uncle was in the 7th MB. I will dig out his service record and can give you more details of the postings of the 7th MB prior to the great war.

I have also transcribed the war diary of the 7mb for 1914 to end of 1915 when they were redeployed to Galipoli. I gave a copy to a guy and he has put it online 7mb diary

Additionally I have some postcards with images of 7th MB men. Do you have any more photos?

My great uncle was 30395 so not far apart in numbers.

I have just moved so it will take a few days to dig out the info again.

I am excited to find another mountain gunner, can you tell?

Leigh.

Leigh thats really interesting that we have such a close connection.

I am going to spend some time today reading your on line war Diary and I am very happy to send you a better image of the postcard but the size restrictions on the forum will not let me post it here. Do you have a regular email address that i can send it to ?

i am sad to say that I don't have any other photos. It would be great to think that they served together and maybe we can find this out after a little more research or when I manage to get the service records i have requested. However it seems from a letter i received today that there will be a delay of MONTHS !!!!! before my request can be processed.

Rene

Rene,

Please please can you mail me a good quality scan of the postcard you have attached to this thread.

My Great uncle was in the 7th MB. I will dig out his service record and can give you more details of the postings of the 7th MB prior to the great war.

I have also transcribed the war diary of the 7mb for 1914 to end of 1915 when they were redeployed to Galipoli. I gave a copy to a guy and he has put it online 7mb diary

Additionally I have some postcards with images of 7th MB men. Do you have any more photos?

My great uncle was 30395 so not far apart in numbers.

I have just moved so it will take a few days to dig out the info again.

I am excited to find another mountain gunner, can you tell?

Leigh.

leigh, I have just tried to follow the 7MB link you sent but it does not take me to a web page just a downloadable WORD file but i don't have word and cant read this . Can you please re send the web link ?

thanks..Rene

I am going to spend some time today reading your on line war Diary and I am very happy to send you a better image of the postcard but the size restrictions on the forum will not let me post it here. Do you have a regular email address that i can send it to ?

i am sad to say that I don't have any other photos. It would be great to think that they served together and maybe we can find this out after a little more research or when I manage to get the service records i have requested. However it seems from a letter i received today that there will be a delay of MONTHS !!!!! before my request can be processed.

Rene

Paul, I just wanted to update you that I have received a reply from the historical disclosure section of the Army Personnel centre in Glasgow saying that my request for info will be between 9 and 12 months before it can be answered. I am obviously disappointed at this this as I hoped to move things forward after such a great start to my research.

I wonder if you received the good quality images of the postcard that I emailed you last week ok ?

Many thanks

Rene

y

Welcome Saltburn55,

Rgds

Paul

Rene

Leigh----- I have been able to access the Diary so don't worry about the link. thank you so much for sending it.I will be in touch again. Rene.

Leigh, I still have the image that I have scanned for you, do you have a regular email address that I can send it to ?

I wonder if you have managed to find your source of information yet and can give me any details about the movements of the 7th prior to 1918 ? I hope that you have managed to start to get yourself settled in after your move. Comparing our respective service numbers its almost like them were standing in the queue together to sign up.

Rene