Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Masonic War Medals

DirtyDick

Hello

I have seen a number of different medals awarded for service in both world wars by the Masons. Most are engraved with the name and masonic lodge/number of the recipient, but come in a variety of different designs and of varying quality.

Was there a national (international) edict from Mason HQ (sic) promoting the establishment of these medals to reward appropriate members, or where they introduced on an ad hoc bases by individual lodges? Also, were they universally issued for service in the War or only to select members; and did ex-officers receive additional renumeration in the form of better quality awards and/or promotion within the ranks of The Brotherhood?

Any help and additional information would be appreciated.

Richard

(Third Chapter... Page Twelve, Second Paragraph, Line Two.)

Hello

I have seen a number of different medals awarded for service in both world wars by the Masons. Most are engraved with the name and masonic lodge/number of the recipient, but come in a variety of different designs and of varying quality.

Was there a national (international) edict from Mason HQ (sic) promoting the establishment of these medals to reward appropriate members, or where they introduced on an ad hoc bases by individual lodges? Also, were they universally issued for service in the War or only to select members; and did ex-officers receive additional renumeration in the form of better quality awards and/or promotion within the ranks of The Brotherhood?

Any help and additional information would be appreciated.

Richard

(Third Chapter... Page Twelve, Second Paragraph, Line Two.)

I think the most commonly seen Masonic Commemorative Medal is the "Hall Stone" Medal,depicting an Angel of Victory upon a Cross,with 1914 & 1918 on the Limbs of the Cross,in Hallmarked Silver[contemporary ones anyway];on a Blue Ribbon.I am not sure of the Criteria for these awards,my Book of Masonic Regulations & Awards & Badges of Office doesn't give a great deal of "Inside Information"I'll have another read and see what I can discover{If I can get me trouser leg rolled down without falling on me sword!} :ph34r:

Cheers Harry-Bernard-Roger, I'd be interested since I have seen quite a few varieties in both US and UK and they rarely appear to command high prices; but if they were researchable via the Masons it would be a different matter.

Richard

Contact The Library and Museum Of Freemasonry: (UK) tel 020 7395 9258 or e-mail libmus@ugle.org.uk. They also have their own website.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry; never realised that they had their own museum; I will give them an email and post any positive results.

Richard