Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need photos of Trench Clubs

182 CEF

Does anyone have a website that shows WW1 Trench Clubs? I would like to make one for the Nov 11th Display I do here in Whitby. I did a search on hte web and only came up with one or 2 photos.

Thanks

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario

Dean,

Hope these photos are uselful.

Found by the Diggers in Boezinge on 17 Oct 1999.

Length 50 cm.

Now in In Flanders fields Museum in Ypres.

Aurel

post-23-1090058227.jpg

And a close up of the head.

(Sorry, don't remember what the diameter was)

Aurel

post-23-1090058307.jpg

Quote:- Contrary to popular myth, these clubs were not produced by individuals. They were produced in mass by units in the field utilizing regimental carpenters and welders etc to produce large amounts of the same pattern of club.

I must admit I thought clubs were produced by individuals to their own designs. One wonders why, if they were produced in mass, the authorities didn`t get "proper" ones made to a standardized design. What collectors` items they would have made! If they were made on a regimental basis, it is surprising that no brigade/divisional/corps guidance seems to exist. Or mention in trench stores?

Would the REs get involved in production? We really need to find the (very) elusive book "Trench clubs of the Great War - a Comprehensive Illustrated Guide" dated about 1920. Phil B

There are two originals(?) for sale at the following website

www.militaryantiques.co.uk and pictures are shown if you are interested. They are in the British militaria section under WW1 Equipment.

One wonders why, if they were produced in mass, the authorities didn`t get "proper" ones made to a standardized design

There were indeed proper ones made to a standard design. The most familiar is a simple cast iron head designed to fit onto the end of the standard issue entrenching tool handle in place of the helve.

According to Saunders ("Dominating the enemy, War in the trenches 14-18") the RE's produced these from 1915 to 1918. In one week in March 1918, Hazebrouck workshop had nearly 3300 of these heads in store.

Regarding the ones for sale at Military Antiques the first one is catagorically one of these discussed in the previous thread on trench clubs. The markings are totally false and the club itself is most likely a fake. As I said in that thread they all eminate from one source in France and can be purchased for around £20 - £30. Said source added the markings some years ago using a modern die set and spelling mistakes as befits his total lack of English!

When posting the two photos this morning I forgot to mention that maybe the shown specimen is not really a (standard) trench club. If my information is correct, then there was :

- a cosh (kosh) : a club with a metal ring

- knob kerrie : a club with a thick round (or oval) head, first used by the Zulus in South Africa (the one on the photo)

- a lack(e)ry : (not sure what it is exactly)

- mace : with hobnails.

It seems to me, however, that these definitions are not entirely correct. Maybe some names are synonyms, or the definitions overlap (as a knob kerrie had hobnails too ?)

And I also found the name "Mister Dunlop" : sort of truncheon made from the inner tube of a bicycle, filled with sand.

Aurel

And I also found the name "Mister Dunlop" : sort of truncheon made from the inner tube of a bicycle, filled with sand.

... a favourite of streetgangs and muggers from pre-WW1 to (at least) the 1950's, though not as easy to conceal as a pool-ball in a sock!

Dave. :ph34r:

Thanks for all the help PALs!! This may sound strange, however these clubs don't look as "mean" as the fakes that are offered.

Dean