Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuzes: 101 & 103s

Rob Heanley

post-38159-0-80194900-1316021063.jpgHi all,

I have this Fuze (pictures attached) from the fields near Thiepval (just south of Thiepval on the Authuille road). It initially looked to be a 101 HE Fuze. I cleared off the mud to decipher the markings and found that the markings denoting it as "No. 101 II" appear to have been stamped over by three "X"s and the Fuze has been remarked on the opposite side with the figures "103 I V". There are also two different dates. The words "March 1917" appear towards the base and then the date 12/17 higher up on the body.

My question is whether the 101s were ever refitted as 103s?

Robpost-38159-0-16733700-1316021052.jpg

History of the Ministry of Munitions Vol X Teh Supply of Munitions Part II Gun Ammunition: General Chap 2 Sect V

"The transition period between the No 100 and No 101 fuses was covered by converting existing No 100 fuses to Nos 103 and 103, the latter fuses having the cocked spring device omitted. The No 103 fuse was short and did not itself carry the gaine which was supported in a separate adapter screwed into the mouth of the shell. This combination gave excellant results and persisted till the end of the war as it facilitated production, but the system was inferior as regards cost of manufacture and ease of filling to one where fuse and gaine form one unit."