Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE's Photo

Conor Dodd

I have a largish photo of what is written on a piece of wood with the men is 2nd (Res) Signal Troop Royal Engineers. There are 23 men and 1 officer and on the bottom right of the photo os written 1916-1917 I don't know where the photo was taken but they are standing in front of a building with 2nd Res. Calvary Brigade School of signalling, and Mjr. Townskend House Tankardstown Rathkenny Co. Cavan. Anything anyone knows about any of the things I mentioned would be brilliant.

Conor :D

Conor

I can't help directly with the photograph, but the Royal Engineers supported cavalry formations in the same way they supported the infantry. Mounted units of the RE were designated squadrons and troops and also provided signals support as your picture indicates.

The 2nd Reserve Cavalry Regiment, whom your sappers were supporting, were originally formed on mobilization at Aldershot. In early 1917 a new 2nd Reserve Regiment was formed at the Curragh, mainly from 9th and 10th Reserve Cavalry Regiments part of the 3rd Reserve Cavalry Brigade. 2nd Reserve Cavalry remained at the Curragh until the end of the war.

Terry Reeves