Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anson Cap Badge?

David Filsell

I found a cap badge today marked on the face Anson. No anchor or anything and quite unlike any army baddge I have ever seen, It didn't look like a fake - but I'm not a badge man. The dealer is a man I know and have bought from with complete satisfaction. He didn't know anything about it other than "that its been in the family for three generations".Is it likely to be Anson Bn RN Bde?

John has posted an original badge so that you can make a comparison, but you should be aware that the badge has been much reproduced along with the others of the RND as the original dies were sold off some time in the early 1960s and these were used by modern manufacturers to meet what was perceived as a market for collectors, not least across the Atlantic where there is still a fascination for a lot of British militaria. It is really a question of whether you can trust the assertion that the badge concerned has been in the seller's family for three generations.

Thanks team. The badge was exactly as shown in the attached image. I assume it must be fairly rare - but at £15.00 not particularly expensive. As I have said I am no expert, but it looked well - aged, not repolished, but with those 'bluebell' build-up on the back which I have seen before. How should/can one authenticate it? Again, many thanks for the help.

best regards

David

Hi

Yes, There are a lot of restrikes ( repro ) cap badges, on the market, they were selling when I started my collection, and long before that, Fox restrikes of the pre-Territorial Glengarry badges, were made over 90 years ago, and sold for 7 1/2 p.

There's not a cap badge collector, that can say, they have, no repros in their collection,

I only wish I had bought the RND badges, when I was collecting, they were being sold then as repros for £1.70

Regards.

Gerwyn

The very least a genuine Anson must have is a small strengthening rod behind the spear shaft and a Gaunt makers tablet braized to the rear. Fakes still exist with the features though but genuine ones always have them.

The very least a genuine Anson must have is a small strengthening rod behind the spear shaft and a Gaunt makers tablet braized to the rear. Fakes still exist with the features though but genuine ones always have them.

Hi. I've never seen a cap badge, with a Gaunt makers tablet braized on, ( was this only on the Anson cap badge ), do you have one with this on, and could show a photo.

The only ones with Gaunt on, that I have seen were on the slider, and was informed at the time, Gaunt 1955 to 1975 London, then Birmingham.

"Please remember, just because I've never seen one, I'm not stating that you are incorrect, in what you are saying".

Regards.

Gerwyn

Gaunt plaques soldered to the rear are not unique to Anson or indeed RND badges. All my RND have the plaque and they are seen on other badges eg 11th (Lonsdales) border Regt and others. Fairly common but as stated now copied themselves!!

TT

gaunt2.JPGIs this the tablet

Thanks for all the interest. Its hard to tell but there seems to be a clear difference in quality amongst those on ebay - but that could be picture definition. I didn't, being ignorant, know enough to check for a Gaunt marking, or that re-strikes were common. But on balance the badge does not look to be that rare. However for anyone interested the dealer is Mark Sullivan at 9 Cecil Court WC2. Tel no 0207 836 7056.

Best regards

David