Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RA Cap Badge ?

Peter Beckett

Can any of our experts tell me what regiment this is and a translation of the latin motto on it.

Thanks in advance

Peter

"Where duty* and glory lead". The motto of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.

They also use "Ubique", just as the Royal Engineers do. For the Engineers, it means "Everywhere"; for the gunners, "All over the place". :lol:

*often translated as "right"

Chris,

thanks for that.

"all over the place" might be where the artillery got its un-official name of "Cloud Punchers"

Peter

"Cloud Punchers" is a term used for the Air Defence Regiments of the Royal Artillery.

John

It is also a Territorial cap badge, no "Ubique" or battle honour on the top scroll

spider

Peter,

It's the Territorial Force artillery badge. I believe the territorials wore the same badge as the regulars from 1917 - I guess by then they had been ' everywhere'.

Regards

Terry

Thanks everyone for that info.

Is there any significance in the "leaves" below the crown?

Peter

Peter

The leaves replace the regular units' "UBIQUE" title.

By the fact that this badge has seen some polish once or twice, we know it's genuine.

Graeme

The leaves replace the regular units' "UBIQUE" title.

...and probably have no significance whatsoever. It's just that it looks more attractive than a completely blank bit.

dave.

It is also a Territorial cap badge, no "Ubique" or battle honour on the top scroll.

spider

The Artillery has no battle honours as such so that is why the word Ubique (everywhere) is used, the same as the Engineers. As Dave suggested no significance just filling in the gaps, the leaves come in varying quantities the one shown is 10 others more

Spider

Just a quick question as a bit of an aside; did Territorial units of the RA in WW2 (I'm thinking primarily of converted Yeomanry) adopt Royal Artillery insignia, or did they retain their own cap badges and dress distinctions?

And another question on the side (I did start the thread :P ):

Was this badge also the same for WW2 ?

Peter

And another question on the side (I did start the thread :P ):

Was this badge also the same for WW2 ?

Yes the badge was the same in both wars. The Royal Artillery still wear the same badge today but with the Queens crown.

Terry

Just a quick question as a bit of an aside; did Territorial units of the RA in WW2 (I'm thinking primarily of converted Yeomanry) adopt Royal Artillery insignia, or did they retain their own cap badges and dress distinctions?

TA units of the artillery wore Royal Artillery insignia. Converted yeomanry and infantry would often have their old title in the new. eg: 224 (Blankshire Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery.

Regards

Terry