Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Contemptible"

Skipman

Possibly Alfred Arnold Ernest Gyde, 2nd battallion, South Staffordshire Regiment. A lot of booksellers associate his name with this book.

Nigel

• 3 months later...

The British Library's catalogue has the author as Arnold Gyde. I imagine that the British Library would know who the copyright holder was.

The only officer called Gyde with a WWI medal card at the National Archives is Alfred Arnold Ernest Gyde, the man named by Nigel above, so it must be him.

I have a first edition copy signed by Arnold Gyde in 1943 and inscribed to N.H Edes "in memory of A.O.R.G and our walks to the Kings Head together".There is a photograph of Captain Gyde in VOL 1 of" The Great War i was there" published The Amalgamated press in 1938.

Just to add that he was a Second Lieutenant commanding No 7 platoon B Company 2nd South Staffs.

• 3 years later...

Second-Lieutenant Arnold Gyde, of the 2nd Battalion, The South Staffordshire Regiment, who was the author of "Contemptible - A Personal Recollection of the 'Retreat from Mons' by a British Infantry Officer," under the nom-de-plume of "Casualty."

Alfred Arnold Ernest Gyde was born in October 1894 and was the son of Ernest and Sybil Mary Boone Gyde. On 30 October 1914, The Lichfield Mercury published a report about him:

Birthday in the Trenches.

“Lieutenant A. A. E. Gyde, of the 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment, son of Mrs Gyde, of Foley House, Streetly, has returned to England after having been wounded in the head at the battle of the Aisne by a German sharpshooter. He is now in a private hospital in London. Lieutenant Gyde was gazetted from Sandhurst in September 1913, before he was nineteen, and his twentieth birthday was spent in the trenches. Three days later he was hit, and the following night a subaltern was killed in exactly the same place.”

Arnold Gyde wrote his book in 1916, which was published by William Heinemann. He retired in 1924, and the following article was printed in The Lichfield Mercury on 3 October:

“Captain Alfred Arnold Ernest Gyde, who went on half pay from the South Staffordshire Regiment some time ago, has been placed on retired pay on account of his health, which was occasioned by very severe wounds received in the late war. Captain Gyde was commissioned in the South Staffords in 1913, through Sandhurst, and got his captaincy in 1916, and went on half pay in 1922. He was with the South Staffordshire in the late war, for which he holds the 1914 Star and the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Captain Gyde was adjutant of the 6th Battalion at Wolverhampton 1920-22.”

Arnold Gyde died on 15 June 1959.

• 2 months later...

Grateful for extra information about my father as I am gathering material for a family archive for the next generation.

One small point: his mother had the family name of Bohun and not Boone, she was rather proud of her ancestory.

Further my father's head injury was almost certainly due to shrapnel as apparently helmets had not yet been introduced.

He was extremely fortunate in having Victor Horsley as his surgeon, who became famous for the innovative treatment of neurosurgical wounds.