Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cork Shootings 28 Feb 1921

corisande

As far as I can see under the clarification of the rules of the Ireland sub-forum, I can post this here as it concerns non-commemoration. I have raised it in this thread on Non-coms here , but it is more likely that someone on the Ireland sub forum can help me get to the bottom of this

I am looking at what happened 28 Feb 1921 in Cork at the moment. There are a lot of press stories on this link

The odd thing (to me) is that nobody in the IRA seems to claim "responsibility" and I have been unable to find the story from the IRA perspective, which is very unusual. If anyone can give me a reference I would be grateful. The British deaths appear to have been in retaliation for 6 IRA men executed that morning in Cork

The British deaths were

1.Lance Corporal J E L G Beattie, 2nd Hants Regiment.

2. Private W A Gill, 2nd Hampshire

3. Signalman G H Bowden, 6th Divisional Signal Company

4. L/Corporal L D Hodnett, Royal Army Service Corps

5. Private T Wise/Wyse, Royal Army Service Corps

6. Private Whitear, 2nd Hampshire

7. Private Vince may or may not have been part of this bout of killings

Wise, Hodnett, Gill and Vince have CWGC graves, but as far as I can see not Beattie, Bowen or Whitear

I am not clear if Vince was part of the "retaliation" shootings or just happened to be shot at the same time

Normally I can find a first hand IRA account of what they did and why they did it

Of the three men that do not (yet) appear on CWGC site, two I can find in Irish GRO death, but not Bowden.