Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals Pte H Griffiths Australia

Liesl

Hi all,

I haven't been around for a while, I have stopped tracing my family tree for a bit - it was either that or my hubby was going to divorce me!! I can get quite obsessed with this stuff!

I am going to put a memorial frame together for my Mum about her uncle Hilton Griffiths (Forbes, Australia) who's name is on the Menin Gate. I have two questions:

1. Can I obtain a photo of his name on the gate?

2. What medals would he have received so I can buy replicas for the frame?

Thanks heaps guys - its good to know you are always out there!

Liesl

Liesl,

Pte H Griffiths was entitled to the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. Unfortunately I am not in a position to help you with your other request. Possibly some kind

visotor to the memorial can obtain a photograph for you.

Hi Liesl,

I am going out to Ypres in early October and could get a photo of the Menin gate and Hilton Griffiths name without a problem. However I am sure that someone else on this forum will be there before me to help you out, if not let me know and I will gladly get the picture(s) for you.

Dave

Thanks so much for your help! I didn't know if there were already photos on line or if I would have to get someone to take it for me. I would really appreciate a photo of his name Dave, if it is not too much trouble. Mum and I were supposed to do a battlefield tour late last year as part of our European trip, but unfortunately, Mum was diagnosed with breast cancer and had an operation and chemo which she is still suffering the effects of. This is the best way I can think of her seeing the gate until she is ready to go on the trip again.

Thanks David for letting me know which medals Hilton was entitled to.

Appreciate the help -again!

Liesl

Hi Liesl

Do you know his records are online and show what medals he was entitled to?

Here is the link - (if it works!) and there are 45 pages to go through, this page show his medal entitlement-

http://naa12.naa.gov...pts/Imagine.asp

Edit - looks like it wont, so go from here-

http://naa12.naa.gov...SearchForm.aspx

Put in his surname, pick WW1 from the dropdown menue and search. Then put in his fist name and he is the only one, so go from there

You could also try here for a photo - its free!

http://www.britishwargraves.co.uk/

regards

Robert

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who posted information for me and a special thanks to Dave who took pictures of Hiltons name on the Menin Gate.

I am very, very grateful

Liesl