Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Royal Warwicks

Lindsey

Does anyone know where i could find the war diary of the above Regt of which my Grandfather , William Leslie Lilly belonged to. I am interested in 1918 as that was when he was taken POW in Asiago??

Lindsey

I know i should try the National Archives but dont really know where to start and of course there is the problem of getting there or more specifically, of having the time to go.

Is there anyway of doing this via post with them or the net??

I should have asked this in my first enquiry, sorry all

Lindsey

The Natioanl Archives at Kew have the original War Diaries but the Fusiliers Museum (Royal Warwickshire) St John's House, Warwick, have copies which if you contact them they will photocopy the relevant pages for a donation to the museum.

Terry

Thanks Terry i will contact the Fusiliers and will be only too happy to give a donation.

Lindsey

St John's House does hold typewritten diaries of 1/8th RWR but these are copies of the original manuscript held at the NA, and do not include operational maps ect. The charge to see the diaries is £10 -00p

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry for pointing that out, I will try both sources

Lindsey

Hi Lindsey

Did you know that the 1/8 Warwicks moved back to France in September, 1918. Thus you would not need many pages from the war diaries. There is a brief mention of the 143 Brigade's activities, in the book "By God They Can Fight" by Peter Caddick-Adams, for July and August 1918. But little mention of 1/8 in any operations.

By the way, the Birmingham Daily Post published on 10 August, 1916, has a

Pte W L Lilley, No. 4608, as being wounded.

Would this be your grandfather?

Regards

Terry