Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this man a non commemoration

ChrisC

I took this in Luton Church Burial Ground. I note he is referred to as Pte. Brandon Beds Regt. I assume that if he died from a cause unrelated to his service, he would not be commemorated.

Chris

post-3633-0-93419900-1315762540.jpg

There appears to be an extensive "pension file" on this man who was a regular soldier. He had been in South Africa before the war, returning to the UK on 20/9/14 where he remained until his discharge on 17 March 1919.

The cause of his discharge and, presumably, his death are recorded as not caused by or attributable to sercie. Cause of discharge was " general paralysis of insane" which, as we know, was the usual coy definition of advanced syphilis

He was discharged to reside in the Three Counties Assylum, Bedford and I would assume he died there. There are cases being accepted where the cause of discharge and death was GPI. There is no doubt he contracted his illness whilst in the Army since 1895.

Might be worth getting his DC, to see if he died of GPI.

............. There are cases being accepted where the cause of discharge and death was GPI. There is no doubt he contracted his illness whilst in the Army since 1985.

But his notes state that this illness was not not caused by or attributable to his service.

I wonder why he gave his mother's name as Catherine.

I suppose the death certificate would be needed to confirm that the man with the pension papers is indeed the man in the grave. I have made this assumption based on name, regiment and place of death but it is an assumption.

I have checked the Brandon family back through the census and there are some pieces of information in common with the pension paper records and some which are at odds.

- Agreement with addresses and some family members.

- Discrepancies with other family members and age.

Phyllis Maria Brandon appears as Phillis or Philis or Maria over the years, but never as Catherine.

I will do some more searching and tidy up my notes and see if I can explain the discrepancies.

CGM

Chris

Are you intending to get the death certificate?

Checking with other In From the Cold Project volunteers, this could be a runner for submission to CWGC if we can evidence that he contracted his syphilis during wartime service and was not a pre-existing condition that he had contracted in India. The death certificate may well suggest how long he had had the disease - certainly there's nothing in his file to suggest it was contracted in South Africa (although the fact he didnt continue on active service with his battalion from September 1914 might suggest he wasnt fit enough even then.

If you are going to get the certificate, In From the Cold will be happy to advise you about submission to CWGC or to submit it on your behalf if there ius a case (in which case, we'll be happy to refund you the cost of getting the certificate). On the other hand, if you weren't intending to get the certificate, please let me know and I'll get the dust off my wallet and take the punt myself.

John

Is this chap mentioned on any local war memorials or local Roll of Honour ? Might assist your case if he is but not conclusive. For example The Hove Roll of Honour ( where I live) goes up to November 1919. whilst CWGC goes beyond that date , Local paper obituary can also be useful but need cross -referencing as they are not always completely accurate. Regards, Michael Bully

I have one question, which may have a simple answer..

The Frederick on the gravestone died in January 1920 (confirmed by a BMD entry)

Looking to link the pension records up with him - I see that in May 1920 a standard pension form which refered to the Frederick of the pension records was completed. It listed a review of the amount of the pension he would receive from his date of discharge and also the amount he would receive when reaching the age of 55, the date of which they actually calculated.

This was about 4 months after the death of the Frederick on the gravestone.

Link to the page here

Can anyone see any document in the pension records which notes the date of death of this Frederick?

CGM

Nope. Can't see anything helpful. It may be that this was simply a review letter sent out with no knowledge that he had already died.

I'm going to order the death certificate for the January death and see where that takes us, if anywhere.

John