Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform identification please

weemaxcat

Can anyone please help me identify the uniform in the photo? the photo was amongst family pics but we have no idea who the gentleman is . It is a marine uniform? Any info would be most appreciated

post-79368-0-63706100-1315715141.jpg

From a first glance the collar badges do look like Globe and Laurels so RMLI/RMA possibility

Can you get a close up to confirm..RM records are searchable online

Ady

Can anyone please help me identify the uniform in the photo? the photo was amongst family pics but we have no idea who the gentleman is . It is a marine uniform? Any info would be most appreciated

Yes, he is a Royal Marine in the Blue Frock that was worn as an undress uniform when not wearing SD. It was used especially by ships companies of RM and continued in use into the 1920s. The men of the ill fated expedition to Belgium in 1914 wore this uniform in action against the invading Germans.

post-599-0-42190500-1315736088.jpg

Thank you for your replies, mmm45 & Frogsmile.

I 'm afraid this is the best I can get a closer look , a bit fuzzy. What is the badge on the pocket, does anyone know?

post-79368-0-98305700-1315797505.jpg

The feature on the pocket flap is the end of a watch chain looped through the buttonhole over the button.

The feature on the pocket flap is the end of a watch chain looped through the buttonhole over the button.

Yes, I agree that it is the 'T Bar' on the end of a pocket watch's fob strap or chain.