Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First World War A Photographic History

Skipman

I have been gifted " The First World War A Photographic History Edited with captions by Laurence Stallings "

I have never seen the majority of these before. The ones I have seen are usual ones Flickr

Is this book quite rare, and why do these excellent photographs not appear in other publications?

Are they still under copyright (1933 Daily Express Publications London )?

Mike

The officer in picture No 2, with the military policeman, is Prince Albert who later became George V1

TR

Thanks Terry, there is some information on the photographs at the back of the book, the caption is " Youth " and says H.R.H. The Prince of Wales in Bethune 11th Aug 1916.

Michael, that is interesting. There are some quite graphic photographs, and as I said, many I have never seen before. I'm not sure on copyright issues, but 78 years? I'm sure many would benefit from using them to illustrate their books?

I'm happy to post more of them, if anyone is interested, and if it can be proven that the images are out of copyright?

Mike

I have had a copy of this book for some time. One thing that has intrigued me for many years is that I once, in a library, browsed through a German book entitled "Ein Ganz Welt Gegen Uns" or somesuch (I apologize for my lack of linguistic ability!). The two books were almost the same in terms of layout and even type face. A large proportion of the photographs were the same, although with different captions. For example the British book might have a photo captioned "town destroyed by German artillery" while the German version said "town destroyed by British artillery". My memory is, of course, dim.

The photos obviously came from a great variety of sources. Perhaps Beaverbrook had contacts on the continent and they shared.

Is this book quite rare, and why do these excellent photographs not appear in other publications?

The book is not rare. You can buy used copies on Amazon U.S. for $5.00.

My copy of the book was published by Simon and Schuster. The acknowledgments list 29 sources for the photos, including biggies such as the New York Times, the Imperial War Museum, the U.S. Signal Corps, the Daily Mail, the Berliner Tageblatt, Le Figaro, and so on.

I've seen many of the photos in other publications.

The officer in picture No 3, with the military policeman, is Prince Albert who later became George V1

TR

Fraid not, Terry - Prince Albert (a la the King's speech) was a naval officer at the time (serving at Jutland in 1916). As the caption mentioned by Skipman says, it's the Prince of Wales (Grenadier Guards), who became Edward VIII. Some twenty years or so before Mrs Simpson gave him a new direction.

Cheers-salesie.

• 1 month later...

I have been gifted " The First World War A Photographic History Edited with captions by Laurence Stallings "

I have never seen the majority of these before. The ones I have seen are usual ones Flickr

Mike

Kia ora from N Z .I also have the book the same name,mine says published 1934,william heinemann ltd london. .the dust cover has by the editor of the daily. express. london i can remember looking at this book in the 1960s . how it got to N Z i have no idea. regards charles

• 1 month later...