Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Infantry Badge(s) WW1

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Can anybody explain to me how South African Infantry were badged (cap) during WW1 ? – What I’m particularly interested in are the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th South African Regiments, SA Brigade, 9th Division, during 1916.

I’m finding conflicting info on the www, hence this dip into the deep well of GWF knowledge :thumbsup:

Links to illustrations would be nice.

Thanks - Tom

I assumed they all used the Union badge - the antelope's head in a circlet with "Union is Strength" above and the Dutch "Eendracht maakt macht" below.

I assumed they all used the Union badge - the antelope's head in a circlet with "Union is Strength" above and the Dutch "Eendracht maakt macht" below.

Steven - I have an image of that badge >

post-108-0-59432000-1315662079.jpg

- and have found it referenced as the * South African General Service Badge * South African Brigade badge * 4th South African Infantry Regiment badge (the latter on a South African dealers site).

I'm also finding what appear to be (?) collar dogs for for WW1 SA Infantry, which differ from the above.

I'm not a collector and have only a passing interest in uniforms, so am floundering a bit with regards to sources :wacko:

Also ... "assumed" frightens me !

Tom

Given that the 4 Regiments of SAI in the SA Bde were formed from existing Active Citizens Force units (such as the Transvaal Scottish), I guess it might be possible that regimental collars dogs were worn (as in the NZEF), but I'm pretty certain sure the cap badge was as described. The 4th (Scottish) Regiment wore Atholl tartan, I believe (could be wrong), so a piece of tartan backing is likely.

A photo on Buchan's History of the SA Forces, of Lt Col F A Jone, CMG, DSO, CO of the 4th Regiment clearly shows him wearing the badge mentioned, on a Kilmarnock (?) bonnet, with no collar badge. A photo of Lt Col E F Thackeray, CMG, DSO (3rd regiment) shows him wearing collar dogs, and what looks like the afore-mentioned badge on his cap. Lt Faulds, VC, (1st regiment)is pictured bare-headed, but with a (different) collar badge.

Lt Col F H Heal, DSO (ist regiment) wears the same cap badge and an apparently different again collar badge. Then Lt Col E Christian, DSO, MC wears the same cap badge and yet a different collar dog (he's 2nd regiment). Finaly, 2nd Lt W H Hewitt, VC (2nd Regiment) wears the normal cap badge and collar dogs similar to those of Col Christian.

I'd say all Regiments had the same cap badge, but each regiment had its own collar (or, in the case of the 4th, no) badge.

And then I did the obvious thing, and looked in Reg Cox's book Military Badges of the British Empire, 1914-18: he confirms that all four Regiments wore the same badge, with collar dogs as:

1st Regiment - Antelope's head (face on), above a scroll "1st South "African Infantry" - the "1st South" on a a straight upper scroll, with "African" below to the left and "Infantry" below to the right

2md Regiment - Two bufflo-looking beasts running to the right, above a straight scroll "Natal & O.F.S.", above a curved scroll "2nd S.African Inf."

3rd Regiment - Antelope's head, in profile, with a scroll to the left "Transvaal", and the the right "Regiment", the head above another scroll "3rd South African Inf", above another scroll I can't quite read, but which might be Latin.

4th Regiment - a rather Gaeilic creation: shield with the lion rampant, on a slatire. Above the shield a coronet with a hand holding an arrow. Behind the shield, at the bottom half, a spray of thistles, and underneath a three part scroll "Mors" (left) "Nisi" (right) "Lucrum" (middle and below the others). However, as I said, neither of the photos of officers of the 4th show them wearing a collar badge.

There - hope that helps!

... There - hope that helps!

Steven - thanks. I've found illustrations for the 2nd and 4th Bn dogs on the www - 1st and 3rd so far elusive.

Tom

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All

As an interesting aside . Members of the South African Scottish (made up primarily from the Cape Town Highlanders and The Transvaal Scottish ) are also know to have worn their former regimental collar dogs . Their was also an elaborate bi-metal shoulder title worn by the members of 4 SAI which was a british produced private purchase item . Shoulder titles were also worn and I have 4 different examples in my collection . The spelling on these was South Africa / Zuid Afrika , in dutch as south africa only addoped Afrikaans in 1926 , at which time it changed to Suid Afrika .The 9th division white metal thistle on a blue not black cloth disk was also worn on the upper right sleeve .

The South African Heavy Artillery also had there own distintive badges ie crossed cannons with a Springbok to the top , Not a Gazzelle ! A curved 'South Africa " shoulder title was also worn by them .

Members of all 4four regiments are also known to have painted the regimental badges on their "brodie" helmets .

Hope this helps

Mark