Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Field Gun

Guest redrum

Can anyone recall that a town in Britain was given a captured German field piece for a display trophy in 1918 which the good town folk promptly rolled into the local pond.

They apparently were so enraged by the military giving them a German gun instead of a British piece- as in other towns- this is what they did to it. The gun apparently stayed submerged for decades until dragged out and was at last displayed and I assume still is?

In 1969 in helped recover a German naval gun from off the end of the pier at Gareloch. This trophy had been mounted outside the village hall, and so the story goes, local men coming home from the war threw it off the pier into the sea.

Terry Reeves

Nice story - where is the gun now - back outside the village hall?

Hasn't everyone got one?

Guest stevenbec

Mates,

A funny conquenice of this is that reenactment groups now find it impossible to use Allied guns because none were saved.

There are a number used for movies in Aussie but all are German guns returned as Trophies at the end of the war.

I understand a british 18 Pdr is like gold and none are in these groups here.

On only has to look at the aussie Movie "The Light Horseman" to see the German type guns used both by the British RHA and Turko/German Battery.

So purhaps we saved the wrong weapons.

S.B

I was at Faslane in 1969 and I don't remember that Gareloch story at all.

There are still quite a lot of French artillery pieces around - many in cemeteries.

I also found a DeBange 155mm gun in a small village. I am told that it is one of two (the other is in the USA) that still exists. Whether that is true or not I have no idea.

If you are ever in Australia, the National Artillery Museum at Manly has an excellent example of a 18 pdr.

As well as many other fine examples of heavy arty.

Iggy