Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Max enlistment ages?

steve fuller

Im aware there were min ages, but what were the maximums, and did they change as the war developed?

Cheers

Steve

There was a recent thread on Oldest serving/enlisting O/Rs if you type in "Blythe" you should find it{he was born in 1858,served in Afghanistan in 1878 & joined/re~enlisted from the Reserve,back into the East Lancashires in time for a trip O/S by July 1915! being discharged on 11.11.1918,From the RAF, :)

From what I have read, the following were the broad age ranges for recruits in WW1. Of course, there would have been substantially older and younger soldiers; some boy regulars, some lying about their age and some recalled reservists:

Adult enlistmenta:

Regular British Army pre-1914: 18-38 yrs

Volunteers 1914-15: 19-30; age limit raised to 35 a month or so later.

National Service Act 1916 : 18-41 yr olds were deemed to have enlisted.

1917(?): Age limit raised to 45.

1918: Age limit for overseas service dropped to 18 and 6 months; and raised to 50.

(Did read somewhere that age went up to 55 in mid-1918, but not certain.)

Royal Defence Corps (Home Guard) probably older.

I believe that those few wartime volunteers who were needed by the Navy had to be aged under 30 to become a seaman, and under 38 to become a stoker. This was RCN age limits and assume same for RN.

Austalians: 19-35 in 1914; raised to 40 and then 45 in 1915. This re

lates to the Light Horse; infantry and logistics etc. could be marginally different.

Again there will be fluctuations and inconsistencies in different regiments and Pals Battalions etc, but I believe these set out official age limits for new recruits. Soldiers could join under 19 but where not supposed to go overseas until this age.

Richard (27)

Thats excellent thank you Richard & Harry.

Steve (27 - I wish!)