Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

105th Field Company Royal Engineers

GrahamC

Hi pals

One of my Buxton lads :poppy: Spr. 81726 James MYCOCK died in France on 27th May 1918 (the CGWC does not attribute a cause of death) and his Service papers have not survived.

However according to SDGW, Spr. A. T. Brinklehurst, Spr. T. Dodd, Spr. E. Gilberthorpe, Dvr. H. T. Howell, Spr. E. C. Leeder, Cpl. D. McGougan, Spr. G. C. Murphy, Spr. A. W. Palmer, Spr. E. Pennington, Spr.. C. E. Perryman, Spr. W. H. Powell, Spr. J. E. Putnam and L/Cpl. A. Wood, all of the 105th were also killed on the 27th May 1918.

Can any pal enlighten me as to what and were this Company were engaged on that day to lose so many men. Meanwhile I'm raising a glass tonight to the memory of these brave men - they are not forgotten.

Thanks

Graham

Hello Graham

After their losses in the first two phases of the German 1918 Spring offensive in March and April, four British divisions, including 25th, were sent to the Chemin des Dames, a nominally quiet sector of the French front, to rest and recuperate.

On 27 May the sector proved anything but quiet when the Germans unleashed phase three of their offensive there, and the British (and French alongside them) were hurled backwards in the direction of Soissons. Sapper Mycock and his comrades were no doubt killed as the attackers swept right through the infantry in the front lines and even the artillery, engineers and other supporting services came under heavy attack.

See the British Official History, 1918 Volume III for more details.

Ron

Hi Ron

Many thanks for that - explains a lot. I wonder if any other pal has the War Diary?

Thanks again

Graham

Here is the reference:

WO 95/2235 Divisional Troops

WO 95/2235 25 Battalion Machine Gun Corps 1918 Mar. - 1919 Apr.

WO 95/2235 195 Machine Gun Company 1916 Dec. - 1918 Feb.

WO 95/2235 105 Field Company Royal Engineers 1915 Sept. - 1919 Feb.

WO 95/2235 106 Field Company Royal Engineers 1915 Sept. - 1919 Feb.

It may be possible to order a copy ofthe relevant pages of the diary online through www.nationalarchives.gov.uk - I don't think they are available as online transcripts yet.

If not, and if no-one else on the Forum already has a copy - treat yourself to a trip to London!

Ron

Many thanks, Ron

Unfortunately I have 316 names to research and if I bought every diary I'd be even more bereft of ££££s. This is why I am very dependant on Forum pals for much of my info.

All the best

Graham

G

I may be able to squeeze it in next week.

Sotonmate

• 2 years later...

Thanks for posting this picture - managed to find it on your new post. I will see if it matches up with my man's service period.

Best wishes

Graham

Was at Kew last week - and had WO 95/2235 out. Two of the names I am researching were in the 25 Div MGC and the 106 Field Coy RE.

So I now have the 106 Coy diary for 1917 - but sadly not the 105 for 1918 :(

• 2 months later...

My cousin is off to Kew to have a look at the 105th WD's, so we will see what that unveils...

Just bumping this up to see if there's any further news on this W.D.

Thanks

Graham

• 6 months later...

Have just downloaded, will start to read thru. Best £3 I have spent in a long time. Thanks mcdent. Do you have a relative in 105th? if so have a look at the only two photos I have of my granddad with his troop.

Have just downloaded, will start to read thru. Best £3 I have spent in a long time. Thanks mcdent. Do you have a relative in 105th? if so have a look at the only two photos I have of my granddad with his troop.

Yes, there is some great information in it! My Grandad was in the 105th, a carpenter by trade. My profile photo is pretty much the only one I have of him in uniform. I had a quick look at your photos but could not see him, Alan Dent was his name. By all accounts my grandmother tore all the old family photos up when he died, shame!

Shame about the photos, seems to be a common story sadly. Still the photo you have is a good one. I would assume that Alan & Fred knew each other! Where was Alan from? Fred was a Nottingham lad. I did read the time they got gassed in the line in 1918 and remember grandad telling me about being gassed but granddad was mounted while the poor ******* got it. Now got the follow the trail of the company so next time I go over I can have a look at some of the places in a different light.

All the best, Martin

Shame about the photos, seems to be a common story sadly. Still the photo you have is a good one. I would assume that Alan & Fred knew each other! Where was Alan from? Fred was a Nottingham lad. I did read the time they got gassed in the line in 1918 and remember grandad telling me about being gassed but granddad was mounted while the poor ******* got it. Now got the follow the trail of the company so next time I go over I can have a look at some of the places in a different light.

All the best, Martin

Hi Martin, Alan was from Lancaster when he signed up, working as a carpenter for Waring and Gillows. My father told me that Alan was gassed at some point and had a damaged lung as a result, it didn't stop him smoking apparently and this was likely the cause of his death at 56. I have a copy of his army records which I downloaded but a lot of it seems to be rubbed out and I cannot make it out unfortunately, particularly the medical records.

Do you know how many were in the 105th company? Are we talking several hundred?

Regards

Mike

A Field Coy full strength was around 200 although when you read the war diary is was sometimes down to 140. As granddad was in the 105th From its formation in 1915 to 1919 I guess they would have known each other. They only person I remember him talking about was his best pal "jock" who was killed late in the war, it was the only time that granddad thought he might not make it.

http://www.1914-1918.net/whatfieldcoy.htm

Again according to the war diary they 105th were gassed several times and I remembers Grandad saying that before they had gas hoods they used to get the hoss (Nottingham for horse) to pee on a hessian rag and use that as a gas mask...not sure about the science behind it but that's what they did. Grandad lived on a farm on the outskirts on Nottingham..which is in the middle of town now!...and the family bred hoss's so granddad and his brothers were all accomplished riders so three of them ended up being drivers. Grandads records are no longer around, damaged in WW2 so all I have is the war diaries, his anecdotal stories, the 25th Div History, his medals and his MID certificate signed by Winston Churchill....but that's good enough for me.

Always on the look out for any snippets so will post anything that I find. So keep looking out for 105th postings...I do!!

Martin

• 3 years later...

Hello,

My Gt Uncle was Tom Dodd, mentioned at the top of this thread.

Is there any update on what actually happened to the 105th on 27th May 1918?

Thanks

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

As previously linked, the war diary for 105 FC RE is available for download from the National Archives here. It is also on Ancestry here. For greater context of the events it might also be worth looking at the diaries for the Commander Royal Engineers 25 Division, and 25 Division HQ (General Staff). The National Archives search page is here, and the Ancestry search page here.

Regards

Chris

On 08/09/2011 at 03:16, GrahamC said:

Hi pals

One of my Buxton lads :poppy: Spr. 81726 James MYCOCK died in France on 27th May 1918 (the CGWC does not attribute a cause of death) and his Service papers have not survived.

Graham

81726 James Mycock originally enlisted into the County Palatine RE in Manchester. His MRIC records that his date of disembarkation was 10/11/1915 which puts him in 202 FC. He is named in the Times OCL 21/08/1916 under RE wounded. The WD for 202 FC records that between 01/07 and 11/07/1916 19 other ranks were wounded. The WD of 30 Div CRE has an account of RE Operations which shows that 14 of these o/rs were wounded on 08/07/1916. Most likely he recovered from his wounds and was discharged from hospital to Base Details at No 4 General Base Depot RE at Rouen. From there he was posted to 105 FC. I started a thread earlier this year about 30 Div CPRE. 

Brian

• 5 years later...

I've got some detail re the action in which Sapper James Mycock was killed, do you know if there are any of his descendants or relatives who might be interested?

• 1 year later...