Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

4th Bn Rifle Brigade

Trevorthomas

My Great Uncle, 596, Henry PIKE of the 4th Bn Rifle Brigade was KIA on 1/3/1915 aged 24.

I am trying to find out where he was killed. Can anyone please help me out as to where the 4th were on that date around Ypres.

I have a suspicion that it was in the St. Eloi area, but can't remember where I got that from.

He is remembered on the Mennin Gate, so there is no grave to visit.

Trevor

Hi have you tried here for their Battalion Diary

Royal Green Jackets Museum

Peninsula Barracks,

Romsey Road,

Winchester,

SO23 8TS

Tel: 01962 828549

Regards.

Gerwyn

Hi Trevor - you were quite right. The war diary shows the battalion to be in trenches at St Eloi.

war diary

post-16428-0-96826800-1315257454.jpg

post-16428-0-20444900-1315257500.jpg

Thanks Gerwyn and Jeremy.

The WDs tend to be a bit brief don't they? But at least that confirms what I thought. One of the 8!!. I Suppose I had better see if I can find any trench maps for the area at that time to get a better idea of exactly where they were.

My son and I went to Ypres and Arras a couple of years ago to see their names on the walls, and have learned a lot more about WW1 stuff since then.

I was lucky that I found out to within a couple of hundred yards where my other G Uncle was KIA at Arras on 9/4/17 from 11MGC war diaries I got from Kew. There was a gun crew 'badly mauled trying to get through the wire', and as there was three from 11MGC killed that day. The diary also gave a map ref of where. I suppose I was hoping for a bit more in the 4Bn diary, but there you go.

Thanks again. I might just try the address from Gerwyn, but I don't expect there will be much more to learn other than what was in the WD extract kindly posted by Jeremy.

Thanks again

Trevor